using a bass amp for guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: using a bass amp for guitar

Amps: (Owen) Digitech 2101 preamp, Ampeg power amp, vintage Marshall 4x12 cab with 65-watt speakers; (O’Brien) Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier

obviously they're talking about cannibal corpse
    well, afaik ampeg doesnt build any guitar power amps, or am i wrong? if i'm right then i just found a famous guitar player with a KILLER sound whos using a bass amp....
    and seriously, his tone is HUGE.....and absolutely kills o'briens'
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cannibal corpse has always used Crate amps and cabs. period. but crate is made by ampeg.
    i've seen them live every year since 92 and its always been crate full stacks and an ampeg bass rig. and when i talk to them about it i always say, "still using crate i see" and they always say, "oh yeah, they're great! we've had no complaints."

~JW
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

BTW ampeg used to make guitar amps as well. my buddy has a 1x12 combo and it sounds killer.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

On CC's last DVD Jack talks about his faithful 2101 pre that a fan gave to him years ago. He said he has had it rebuilt and it has been his main sound.

Pat was plugged into his triple rec.

They had the new Crate that the company had sent them to try out though.

Maybe the Crates are what Jack used live, but I'm sure he said he has used the 2101 for recording.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I used to play through an early 70s Marshall Super Bass head & 4x12 JCM 800 cab. Best damn Marshall tone I ever had and I've owned a bunch. I really regret letting that head go.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Terrance from Suffocation plays an Ampeg head and he's a guitarist [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] What the hell model is he using?

Comment

i know that jack is using crate cabs (you can see them @ the live cannibalism dvd) and pat uses his (rackmount? at first i thought he's using a dual rackmount pre and a mesa poweramp, but there are some scenes where you can clearly see that its really just a rectifier head) rectifier into marshall cabs.
              unfortunately, you cannot see jacks other gear....but well, i somewhat doubt that he is using a crate head (maybe i'm wrong? which one do you think is he using?) because there are a few scenes where you can clearly see his pedal board....and well, if i had that kind of pedalboard i would use it for rack stuff, and not for a single head and maybe a bunch of fx. that midi board was HUGE. think john petrucci (SDOIT era) huge.

" On CC's last DVD Jack talks about his faithful 2101 pre that a fan gave to him years ago. He said he has had it rebuilt and it has been his main sound. "

that may answer a few open questions...its a modded one. hell, i almost bought one @ ebay because of jacks huge sound if it hadnt been for a friend of mine who bought his 2101 a few years ago and was able to get some killer patches but NOTHING even CLOSE to jacks sound.

greets
              fragle

Comment

Jack used a 2101 into a Crate Blue Voodoo head. He is no longer in Cannibal Corpse. Pat uses a Triple Rectifier. Ampeg has made several guitar amps, both heads and combos.

As for guitars played through bass amps, Silverface Bassmans are popluar with guitar players, we use two in the band I tech for now for guitar. I played a Fender Bajo Sexto through a Univox Super Fuzz(the MOTHER of all fuzz pedals) into a Ampeg SVT-4 Pro, into an Ampeg 8x10. Same rig that it seems 40% of bass players use, minus the Super Fuzz of course. It sounded freakin' awesome. I wanted to buy that pedal, but it was $400, and the Queens of the Stone Age somehow managed to raise the funds more quickly than I could. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Also Sunn bass heads are popular among some guitar players. In short the reason that most guitar players don't use bass rigs is because of the way they are EQ'd, and plus they don't really have the same gain structure. You can't really just plug straight into a SVT and get metal tone.

Comment

Working...
                X