THD Yellow Jacket Tube Converters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Yellow Jacket Tube Converters

Has anyone here used THD yellow jackets before and if so how did you like them going from 6L6 to EL-84's?
    shawnlutz.com

Re: THD Yellow Jacket Tube Converters

i've heard nothing but good reviews of them.

i have never used them before, but my amp is el84 equipped and i love it.

~JW
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You really have to know what you're looking for to make a decision on these things. If you're familiar with the characteristics of EL84s, and want to add those characteristics to your amp, then you already know if you would like them or not.

If you don't know what EL84s are like in the first place, I would wonder why you would even be considering using them instead of 6L6s in your amp hehehe.

I have a VHT 2-50-2 power amp, normally runs on EL34/6L6, and also a Mesa 20/20 EL84 power amp. I liked some of the sound and feel characteristics of the Mesa. I wasn't as thrilled with the VHT, but really liked its features, so I wondered if using Yellow Jackets to change the VHT over to using EL84s would give it some of the characteristics of the EL84s in the Mesa that I liked. Got em...worked like a charm, better than I had expected. If you want to ditch some of the 6L6 characteristics for EL84 characteristics, the Yellow Jackets should do a great job for you. Plus, you can go for the "power reducing" style and get a little more kick at slightly lower volumes. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by StuTDavis:
        You really have to know what you're looking for to make a decision on these things. If you're familiar with the characteristics of EL84s, and want to add those characteristics to your amp, then you already know if you would like them or not.

If you don't know what EL84s are like in the first place, I would wonder why you would even be considering using them instead of 6L6s in your amp hehehe.

I have a VHT 2-50-2 power amp, normally runs on EL34/6L6, and also a Mesa 20/20 EL84 power amp. I liked some of the sound and feel characteristics of the Mesa. I wasn't as thrilled with the VHT, but really liked its features, so I wondered if using Yellow Jackets to change the VHT over to using EL84s would give it some of the characteristics of the EL84s in the Mesa that I liked. Got em...worked like a charm, better than I had expected. If you want to ditch some of the 6L6 characteristics for EL84 characteristics, the Yellow Jackets should do a great job for you. Plus, you can go for the "power reducing" style and get a little more kick at slightly lower volumes. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stu
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Stu. I ve been looking for a lower wattage combo to get some tube warmth ad distortion at lower levels. I currently have a 2203 (way too fuggin loud for home recording) and was looking at Mesa studio .22, DC-2 and DC-3's which are under 35watts. I have been seeing som 50 watters that have the 6L6's for a good price. My thinking was converting them with the TDH yellow jackets to EL84's hoping I can get power tube distortion of a 25watter volume levels [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn,

*NOD* Gotcha. Make sure you specifically look into the power reducing Yellow Jackets, then. And check how much clearance you have between your sockets and whatever wall of the inside of the amp they are facing, just to make sure you'll have enough clearance. The Yellow Jackets do add some length onto the tubes. They make a short version Yellow Jacket if you need them. Most likely you won't have trouble in a regular amp, but I didn't have enough room in my VHT power amp, and had to relocate the internal fan out of the way of the tubes hehehe.

I'm not sure how much more you'll actually be able to turn the amp up--even low wattage tube amps are LOUD hehe. But, the EL84s should give you some more muscle at lower volumes and give you a more high-volume "feel" at lower volumes, anyway. To me, that makes a HUGE difference.

The other option you might want to check out are the power attenuators, like the THD HotPlate. Lots of players have used those with good results.

Stu

Comment

I tried some THD Yellowjackets and liked them for a short time. In the end, I feel using a good attenuator is the best avenue for lower volume power tube breakup or quieter recording, home playing, etc..

Comment

So if I wanted to lower the output wattage on a my 5150 or a Hotrod 50, the Yellowjackets could do it for me?

TIA

Comment

That's kind of the idea, but remember even lower wattage tubes like EL84s can be very loud hehe.

What's important to keep in mind, though, is that changing the tube type like this is going to change the character of your amp's sound and feel somewhat, too. EL84s distort/break up easier than the higher wattage tubes, and they have a different character altogether than EL34/6L6 and other tube types. With EL84s, your clean channel might get a distorted quality at an earlier setting, your distorted channels will distort earlier. And, very important to remember, because of the character and early breakup of the EL84s, you will probably lose some of the clarity of the sound you get with EL34/6L6 tubes overall.

For me, with the VHT power amp, part of the issue was it just had TOO much clarity to the sound for what I wanted. Putting the Yellow Jackets with EL84s in it, the sound was toned down a little bit, as well as it sounding and feeling harder-driven at lower volumes.

You have to think about ALL of the factors that the EL84s will change in the character and feel of the amp before you get these things, or you might get them and realize an unexpected, unwanted difference. But, if you know what EL84s are like, and want to add their qualities to your amp...this is the way to go.

Stu

Originally posted by me wise majic:
                So if I wanted to lower the output wattage on a my 5150 or a Hotrod 50, the Yellowjackets could do it for me?

TIA
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Well I just bought a Mesa DC-5 off eBay (don't have it yet) that has 50 watts and has 2 6L6's. I'll try the TDH's and El-84's in it and let you know how thye sound. I can also try them in 2203 which has 6650's and see how they work there too.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have a pair of these and they will tame down a hundred or fifty watter.
                    In fact I have one sitting next to my computer right now as I recently bought it off of eBay for 30.00.

This particular yellow jacket I'm looking at now is specifically meant to run in a Uni/Bivalve on the low volt setting.

So..be advised, they make different models of Yellow Jackets. The one I just bought is made specifically for a Univalve/BiValve application.
                    It says in the directions; running it in another amp application other than a Uni/BiValve.. that while the amp or the yellow jacket themselves won't be harmed by the differing converter, the tube will probably fry prematurely due to the voltage being higher than it was meant to handle/convert.

There's another company that made a similar product.. they were in Musicians Friend for a short time. Can't recall the brand tho, but the bases were red and they were more attractively priced.

[ July 05, 2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

I think the red ones are Ruby's

Comment

yes, that was the name!

Comment

I can use my HotRod 50 for a bedroom practice amp and/or a stage amp so no need there but my 5150 might could use some help from these...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            i've heard nothing but good reviews of them.

i have never used them before, but my amp is el84 equipped and i love it.

~JW

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Same here. My Mesa also has EL84s, and I love them! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Even a low wattage amp can be loud as hell. I had to start putting attenuators on my 3 to 5 watt amps so one could get the cool power tube grind without pissed off neighbors. I was testing Fritz's amp without the attenuator one afternoon and during a break my wife came up and said that a kid thought I played really well. Come to find out, he heard me 4 houses down the block... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X