THD Yellow Jacket Tube Converters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THD Yellow Jacket Tube Converters

Well I finally got around to using these THD's today. I used them in my Marshall JCM 2203 though. I'm a bit taken back here because Stu was in on the initial conversation and ultimately helped me make my decision to give these a try [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] So Stu, this is to let you know that I really did like them and thanks for answering me in the thread (still thinking of you bro) and I know your listening [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I originally got these to put in the DC-5 but I feel I can get good tone at lower levels with the DC-5 no problem. Since I already bought the THD stuff I decided to try them in my Marshall. Its a 100w head so I removed all 4 6550 tubes and installed THD Yellow jackets (model YJSD, power reduction type) in the middle two tube sockets and put a matched pair of JJ EL-84's in there. Note if you buy these they come with the tubes too, at least mine did from the tubestore.com.

These tamed the beast and did what I was looking for. They sounded a little warmer, less punchy and less brittle than the 6550's at do at lower volumes. They seemed to have more mids than I was used to on the Marshall so I backed the mids down and the presence a hair and let go as is. I was getting a nice warm sound through a 4x12 without shaking the walls :grin It really sounded nice to my ears, warm, chimey, nasally European type of metal tone but still sounded like a Marshall to my ears. I was able to get my 80 metal tone with my boss SD-1 and after about an hour or so I kicked it off and was liking what I was hearing without any overdrive pedal. I don't know if it was because the tubes heated up or what but seemed to sound better the more I played. I went for about 90 mins or so. The El-84's put out some heat tho no doubt. Even though I went from 100 watts A/B Class power to about 20-25watts of A Class power EL-84's ...the 2203 was still plenty fuggin loud through a Marshall 1960A 4x12 with stock 75 watt Celestions.

If you guys are looking for some alternate way to change the sound and characteristics of you amp you can give these a try. The ones I got will work with just about any amp that has 6L6, 6V6, EL-34's or 6550 tubes. I think I gonna throw two 6550's back in and see how it sounds with a combo of 2 6650's and 2 EL-84's..
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Seems like a MAJOR power imbalance between the 6550s and EL84s; you might want to PM Pete or John before you do that.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I thought the same thing too Rich but instructions that came with them give you the following options for a four power tube amp

a. Replace all 4 and use 4 Yellow Jackets
        b. Remove all 4 tubes and only put 2 Yellow Jackets in the inner two sockets, gives you about 20% power. (You do not need to adjust the impedance selector on your amp to compensate for only using 2 tubes)
        c. Leave two tubes in the outside sockets abd install Yellow Jackets in the inside two sockets giving you a combo od Clas A and Class AB operation (very cool and responsive sound!)

I haven't tried throwing back in 2 6550's in it to use them both at the same time yet
        however I may try just using 2 6550's in the innrer 2 sockets to have a 50 Marswhall [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
        X