Effects Processors... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects Processors... Suggestions?

Not a heavy user but I just sold my Vetta and I need a processor. I really don't want a bunch o stomps... Suggestions reviews etc... I am leaning toward G-Major but an intellifex might do the job too... Any floor units? What about that new Vox?
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: Effects Processors... Suggestions?

I can't recommend the G-Major enough. Clear, sparkly FX with a lot of flexibility, a nice noise gate, decent digital compression - not up to a "real" compressor level, but no multi-FX I've ever heard is - EQ if you have or download the new firmware, and a tuner.

It does a lot, sounds great, and is cheap. What else do you need?

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

If you are looking for amp modeling too then look at the Boss GT-6. It is like a Vetta on the floor.

Comment

Another vote for the G-Major. Simply the best guitar FX unit you can buy for less than a $1000...

Comment

i like the gt6 myself, it's got so many settings/features that it is mind boggling.

Comment

I am leaning towards G Major... but the GT-6 intrigues me...

I know the Vox is litrally almost a vetta on the floor how is the GT-6
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The GT-6 is crazy. It almost does too many cool things. Think of it like a Vetta (you can't stack amps but it does have presets that are already stacked)with an entire guitar synth section, harmonizer, etc... Strings, brass, arpeggiators, auto riffs, tuner, wah, tons of effects and stomp boxes and the ability to place them where you want (like the Vetta), midi, built like a tank, and sounds as good as any processor or modeler that I have heard so far. It is 24 bit with 44.1kbs sampling so it is basically the same as the Vetta 2 and most other high end modeling amps in regards to the specific amp models. You can even pick from different wah pedals or build you own custom wah. I am using mine live for sure. Either hooked up to my Mesa 45, Studio 22, X100B or even my Tremoverb head with 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 cabinets, it sounds awesome. Direct into the board or computer or with headphones it is as good as anything I have ever heard for direct recording. You can choose mic placement, cabinet type and even program it to what type of amp you are using it with. Oh yea... it is a pretty gold color too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

GT-3 or GT-6. They are both excellent units, and very affordable.
                1990 Jackson Professional
                1992 Dean ML
                2004 Epiphone Flying V
                2005 Epiphone Dot
                2009 Fender Stratocaster
                2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                2006 Fender P Bass
                2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                Custom Pedalboard
                ADA MP1
                ADA FX2
                Tascam 2488

Comment

I have used the GT-6 and am now working on the gMajor. The one cool thing about the GT-6 is that it is a real self contained unit. On the unit, you can see 1. tuner 2. patche in use. The pedal is a volume/wah-wah right out of the box. The gMajor needs some type of midi controller if your going live with this and this addition can add to your over all cost. I have the FCB1010 and it's been a ready pain to get it setup to act like my GT-6. The gMajor has no pre-amp, the GT-6 does. However, for the chorus/reverb/flanger/delay stuff (non-preamp), the quality of the sounds is better than the Gt-6. However, in a live situation where I'm using only stage volume, I'm not quite sure how much 'better' the sound quality is really being heard from the audience--Not that they would really notice anyway.

joe...
                  www.godwentpunk.com
                  www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I have only had mine for a little over 1 week. I would suspect that there are alot of GT-6 users. The Boss GT users group is huge.What about the VH Eruption patch? I believe is is called finger tapping (or something like that). It is EXACTLY the same as the recorded original version. I was using the JC120 clean and classic patches for my clean channels. Then I stumbled on the Twin Reverb. That is my new clean channel. The CTRL button is very handy too. You can pick specific effects or EQ's and program them into that footswitch only. I use it for a second delay on top of the 340ms delay I already have programmed in for the Lynch and Demartini solos.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                      Whoa, what's with all of the JCF's GT-6 users coming out of the closet recently? I never recalled this many GT-6 people here before. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I like it!
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Like any other place, there's a fair bit of "tube tone" snobbery around here. That might be a factor.

Personally, I do buy into the argument that tube tone is a fair bit better than solid state/chip. But I don't agree that tube-based distortion is the be all & end all. I'll take a GT-3 or GT-6 any day, both for it's multiple-amp models - which are killer - and great other effects. That's why I run my GT-3 through a tube amp, clean channel. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

Comment

That could be the secret to my great live sound too. I use my GT-6 with all tube amps. Studio 22, Nomad 45, Dual Rectifier Tremoverb and a Carvin X100B. It sounds very warm and "tube like". Actually, I think alot of "tube snob" JCF'rs and tube only players on other message boards are really "warming up" to modeling. Even the new Carvin processor designed by Frank Gambale has been getting rave reviews. It is certainly about time. Of course, along with the GT-6 check out:
                        Behringer V-amp 2
                        Pod XT
                        Johnson J-station
                        Korg AX1500G
                        and all the other modelers and processors before you make a decision. I have owned them all and the GT-6 is the best one IMHO.
                        For strictly effects, you really can't beat the G-Major although I do like the Intellifex alot too.

Comment

Speaking of the Korg AX1500G... my guitar teacher had one for a while, over two years now, and he chose the AX1500G over the GT-6. Then about two years ago, I bought a GT-6 and my brother bought a GT-6B, and then my guitar teacher liked the units so much that he got himself a GT-6. Now the GT-6 is all he uses live, replacing his big stompbox collection, and I think he keeps his AX1500G by his computer for recording. I told him to run both processors live, but he didn't go for it... yet. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Do you run your GT6 in stereo? I have tried it both ways, 2 seperate amps, one stage left and one stage right and left (mono out) to my stage amp and right directly to the mixing board. Dial up the Metal Pan patch and hold on brother. The total metal mayhem jumps across the stage from left to right at whatever speed you have the tap tempo set at. It also has a stereo spread delay that starts on the left and moves to the right. Running 2 different processors is a whole new concept. hmm... Pod XT left, GT-6 right...

Comment

I don't have two amps. My guitar teacher runs in stereo though, and the sound is enormous. My brother's got two amps... he'd probably want to run in stereo. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You can also get a Y-cable or whatever and force a mono output to play in "stereo", which is useful for recording applications, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X