JCM 800 2203 and hot rod 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 800 2203 and hot rod 50

I heard some clips of a jcm 800 2203 with the Zakk prdal on HC and that tone is what I'm after. It reminds me of my tone from years ago. The quality issue is a concern with me concerning the new marshalls. Will a Soldano hot rod 50 sound like a jcm or better? I know that these are built well .

Re: JCM 800 2203 and hot rod 50

If you decide to get the 800, definitely look for an old one. Early single channel vertical inupt unit ones are the ones to get.

I'd say the hot rod is probably a better built unit than either old or new marshall. But, the timbre is different for sure. You might like it, you might not. I just prefer the sound of an old 800 myself.

Comment

yep. If your looking for a 2203 get an older one with the vertical inputs, they are super loud. I have had my 2203 since 84 or 85 and only thing I had to do was replace tubes, can't comment on the quality of the newer re-issues or the ZW 2203. Also look at the same in the 2204's which are the 50w models. The Soldano will give you more gain without pedal but it has its distinct characteristics. I love the 2203 with a SD-1 and GE-7 and you can get all the classic metal tones out of it
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I just got a 1983 2204 50 watt model that was modded by Mark Cameron,and it really nails that tone to the T.It also can get a more modern tone.If you decide to buy an older Marshall you should really look into getting it modded by Mark.I have went through many heads and rack gear and this is by far the most incredible tone I have ever heard.JMO

Comment

So whats a fair price for a used jcm 800 ? 500 ,600, ?

Comment

the ones you see for 600 dont have the vertical inputs. I've seen the 2203's get close to 1000 before. This 2204 (50w) went for $815.00
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I honestly don't know the market for them right now tho [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

The price of 800's is crazy now. There's nothing wrong with a newer horizontal input JCM800. I have one and it sounded killer. I modded it to get the tones I was after but stock there wasn't a damn thing wrong with it. I have clips of my modded 800 on my page.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Personally I love the Hot Rod 50. It's subjective as is anything with amps. I'd love to get a good Marshall, but I'm not going thru hell to get a good one and have it sound like I want it to...

Comment

There's a used horizontal input one at work for like $845...

Comment

The older units had stronger boards with thicker traces, better power supplies and transformers and generally better components.

If you want an 800, find an old 2203 (100watt) 2204 (50watt) vertical input jack, single channel 1981-1983 master volume one with 6550 tubes etc if you can (getting rare).

After that, towards the mid 80s, they changed power supply design in the 2204 (the 2203 followed later),increasing noise and changing the tone to a slightly thinner sound and also eventually went to PCB mounted controls (Horizontal input) and began EL34 tubes.

The later dual channel 800s 2210 (100watt) 2205 (50 watt) had a bit more gain somewhat, but retain the bogus power supply design and the clean (if you can call it that) channel crosstalked a lot with the gain channel and those amps just didn't sound as good as the older single channel ones at high volumes.

Comment

My favorite sound of all my 800s was a 1987 100 Lead Series w cannel switching w reverb....

it just like the same model Oliva left Caffery ...when John and I saw him ...He used it on the EOT tour ...nice gain and tone.

Then I had an early red 50 wt (2204)... that son of a b was loud as hell ...I mean , it made your teeth hurt kinda loud!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                        The older units had stronger boards with thicker traces, better power supplies and transformers and generally better components.

If you want an 800, find an old 2203 (100watt) 2204 (50watt) vertical input jack, single channel 1981-1983 master volume one with 6550 tubes etc if you can (getting rare).

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thats what I have. I took mine apart last night and I mine is dated 20/7/83, 6550's, vertical inputs. Huge-ass transformer, built like a tank. I just wish I coule crank the shit outta it without the cops and neighbors showing up at my house [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have had several JCM800 heads and this is the one I kept and will never part with. If you are into classic metal tone (with OD) its perfect.

John, do you know what tubes to pull if I want to run this at 50w? is it the middle two or the outside two?

Jerry what mods were done to the 2204 on the mp3? I can get pretty close to that with just a GE-7 on my 2203, nothing else.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the outer two will do that..I'd figure it's either pair really. Pete would answer that best.

For some reason, I believe it will also change impedance of the amp as well, I forget though.

I would just run it normally myself. The amps transformer etc was designed for that load and I'd figure it would be best for it as far as sound etc.

Again, I'll figure Pete could comment best as he is much more intimate with the internal workings of them.

Comment

Why is it called "vertical input"?It just looks like a normal marshall to me...can someone explain it please? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Because they have 2 inputs.One is a high sensitivity and the other is low,and they are right over each other,instead of side by side.Making them verticle.

Comment

Working...
                              X