Carvin 1986 X100B review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin 1986 X100B review

It arrived yesterday. Black tolex covered, FS36 footswitch,2 channel, footswitchable channels, reverb and effects loop, bright switch for clean channel, hot rod switch which adds mucho gain for the lead channel, 5 band channel assignable EQ,reverb,active controls (like Mesa Boogie) mine is running a fresh set of 4 EL34's and 3 12ax7a's, 25w, 50w, 100w switch on the back, switchable speaker impedance, direct out and built like a friggin tank.
    How does is sound??
    Clean channel- exactly what the reviews state. This amp has an excellent clean channel with headroom for days. Crystal clear with nice definition and excellent reverb. It starts to break up around 7 which is entirely too loud for most humans anyway.
    Lead channel- with the hot rod switch not activated it sounds like a cross between a Mesa Mark IV and a JCM800. Actually, with the 5 band EQ assigned to the lead channel it sounds very much like a JCM800 with a Boss GE-7 in the effects loop. Activating the hot rod switch bumps the gain up way too much and almost sounds like fuzz until the master volume is over 5. At 5 it sounds killer but still way to much gain for me. I like it in normal mode with the gain dimed out but if you roll the gain down it gets a great Hiwatt/Marshall Plexi blues or vintage rock tone. You can instantly tell that Carvin was going after the big 3 with this amp. Fender for the clean, Marshall for the midrange tone, and Mesa for the bottom end chunk. Active EQ is a great feature that all amps should have. This amp is extremely powerful and very loud. It also sounds fantastic at whisper quiet bedroom levels. Bottom line, the X100B is a great value and really well made. All of the excellent reviews it gets are accurate. I can't comment on how the 6L6 versions with the hot rod factory mods sound (they are usually the gray carpeted models) but I will say that if you have the chance to pick up a X100B running EL34's you should jump on it. I am using mine live with my Boss GT6. Frank Zappa swore by them, Steve Vai used them for many years and some claim that he still does in the backline of his live rig, and many recording studio's still have them as part of their inventory. You can usually pick one up on Ebay for around $300.00 which is a hell of a bargain.

Re: Carvin 1986 X100B review

I have one. Grey carpet version. Wanna run your Gt-6 in stereo with matching heads? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hmm, that sounds pretty cool. Email me [email protected]

john

Comment

I used one back in 1987(the tolex version)with a matching 4x12 celestion cab
      it served me well back then and since it only cost me $500 new back then it was a deal of a lifetime considering what was out back then.
      my drummer always said "dude that amp has some serious low end" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      which they do with the 5 band Eq engaged on the lead channel [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I tried the GT-6 in stereo with my 2 Mesa Boogies and the sound was awesome. Does your X100B have the hot rod mod sticker on the back of it? PM me and let me know the details.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
          I tried the GT-6 in stereo with my 2 Mesa Boogies and the sound was awesome. Does your X100B have the hot rod mod sticker on the back of it? PM me and let me know the details.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">JG, i never got to try mine in a stereo set up [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
          I always wondered what the X100 would have sounded like with the head going into a palmer or other load box then into a G major or similar then into a marshall
          EL 34 100/100 then to cabs [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Nope, no hot mod sticker. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I am pretty sure that all of the carpeted later models have the hot rod mod regardless of having a sticker or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                I am pretty sure that all of the carpeted later models have the hot rod mod regardless of having a sticker or not.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">they do as well as EL34 power tubes [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I had an older X100B with the "script" logo on Tolex. It sounded really great with a GE-7 in front of it. I traded it for my Marshall. The X100B seemed a bit finicky to me, though. I always had to tweak it to get that same great sound it had the day before. That was probably a tube issue, though,
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I owned the very first series XV212 combo, and then 3 different early 80s X60B heads; no hot rod mod though. I dug them a lot, though I did slam the front
                    end with an SD1 for more gain. The ones I had used 6L6s and the low end was a bit farty, so the SD1's bass loss was actually a help; dialed 'em in for a good metal gain tone.

The effects switch also works as a volume boost if you're not using effects jg. The switch for effects level should be set to high though.

One reason I miss LA is that the X-Series amps show up dirt-cheap in the Recycler from time to time. I bought TWO X-60B heads from a dude for $250 once! The 3rd one I bought I paid $150 for! hey sold for more sometimes, but often enough they
                    were cheap. Carvin having 4 stores in the LA metro area, and the factory being in San Diego, helps I'm sure! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I miss those amps, but I way more than doubled my $ on them when it came time to sell, so they served me well.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I used to call them the poor mans Marshall in the 80's [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I had an X100 head that sounded just above OK to me. I did use it together with a Marshal JCM tho and it was a nice mix, by itself it was a little better than marginal to my ears then.

I really dig the 100/50/25 switch and ALL amps should have that. Set that on 25 and crank it up and it warmed up rather nicely if I recall. Its been a looooong time since I had one tho.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I had an X100B/4x12 Celestion cab setup from probably that exact year. Mine definitely did not have a hot mod, and it didn't really have enough distortion for my needs. But put a Rat in front of that thing and watch out! Instant Iommi...

The amp had a great basic sound, and all it needed was a bit of a goosing in the gain department. Better-sounding than any Marshall I've ever played.

Comment

Working...
                        X