Mesa Nomad 45 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Nomad 45 review

This one is a 1 x 12 combo, 3 channels, switchable solo button on any channel and switchable reverb. All 3 channels have seperate reverb controls.
    How does it sound?
    Channel 1- crystal clear and very liquidy. With the pushed switch on it can get a great blues tone.
    Channel 2- Mark IIc/Mark IV all the way. It has a vintage/modern switch that goes from a vintage open sounding Mark IIc to a sudo rectifer/Mark IV tone.
    Channel 3- Similar to Channel 2 but with more gain and a more scooped sound. This a a great lead/solo channel.
    Is it loud?
    Holy shit. This is absolutely the loudest 1 x 12 combo I have ever heard. It is a heavy mother too and made really well. Extremely high quality.
    This open backed 1 x 12 gets bottom end thump like you wouldn't believe. I would swear it was a closed back 2 x 12 cabinet.
    The footswitch is 5 buttons.
    Channel 1,2,3,solo,reverb.
    Every amp should have 3 channels and a solo button. The solo button has 1 volume control on the amp face. You just set it for the amount of boost you need for a solo. It is a great feature.
    OK, it seems that almost all the amps I have reviewed lately have gotten stellar reviews. Why? Well, first, I don't buy amps without knowing if they sound good or not. Second, most of the amps I have been reviewing lately are regarded by most as great amps.
    How is the tone?
    Liquidy, warm, very smooth and full of harmonics.
    Actually, it is a little too warm, liquidy, and smooth. This is not an agressive shrill cutting type of tone. This is not a rectifier. It is a refined and bottom heavy Mark IV. I will say that my Studio 22 beats it in the tone department on the rhythm channel only because the Studio 22 is very open sounding with a unique voice. Is the Nomad 45 combo worth what they sell for new? Not in my opinion. Is it worth what they sell for used? Close. It's better than any of the Caliber series amps that I have tried which include the DC2,5 and .50 caliber and it is very close in tone to a Mark IV but it misses the Mark just a little.For jazz,blues and vintage rock it is perfect. It has plenty of gain for metal but it lacks the sizzle and is a tad too warm sounding. I will be keeping mine because it looks great in my studio. It is sitting right next to my Studio 22 and my Diamond Plate Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb. I actually think it is a little scared of the Studio 22. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Working...
X