No announcement yet.

best little practice amp out there is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best little practice amp out there is?

of the little amps for home practice which is the best bang for the buck? one that excels at high gain tones and one with a effects loop prefered?

Re: best little practice amp out there is?

Tubes--Mesa Studio 22 or 22+
    Solid State--Galien Krueger ML250
    Modeling--Roland Cube 30 (if you want to nail Demartini and Lynch straight out of the box, this is the amp). I have a mint one, if you are interested PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
      Modeling--Roland Cube 30 (if you want to nail Demartini and Lynch straight out of the box, this is the amp). .
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">are you serious about the micro?
      you are saying plug in as is and voila those two guys tones? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

peavey RAGE!
        (or bandit)
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jgcable:
          Modeling--Roland Cube 30 (if you want to nail Demartini and Lynch straight out of the box, this is the amp). .
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">are you serious about the micro?
          you are saying plug in as is and voila those two guys tones? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you can trust my opinion and my ear, this is what I am saying bro. If you buy a Roland Cube 30 and you set it on R'fier with the effects on delay you will NAIL the Demartini tone from Round and Round/Lay it Down, etc... and the Lynch tone from Back from the Attack and Under Lock and Key. It is so close that I often have to turn my amp up because I get confused on which is the record and which is my amp. BTW.. the Roland cube 30 has 2 footswitchable channels, nice useable footswitchable effects, a killer acoustic simulator, and is made very well and loud with its 30 watts and 1 x 10" speaker. The clean channel is a Roland JC120. Roland does a great job of modeling their own infamous JC120. It is outstanding. Wayne Petrosky (wayniac) came over my house and he instantly commented on the tone coming from the Roland Cube 30. It records good too. Its cheap and makes for a great small practice amp. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll be damned. I'll have to check one of those out. I have a Peavey Prowler which is good and have been thinking about an Astroverb 16.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up about the Roland.
              The other guitarist I practice with is really into old Ratt and Lynch and needs a smaller practice amp.
              We'll have to check it out.

Comment

One other practice amp that I was HUGHLY impressed by is the Vox AD15VT--$180 and OMG did it sound GREAT!!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I have a solid state Charvel 200R that is an excellent little practice amp. It has 2 channels footswitchable, reverb, effects loop, headphone 20watts and an 8 inch speaker. best bang for the buck, think they are about 40-60 bucks on eBay. I think I paid 90 for mine brand new about 12 years ago and it still rocks.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'd think about the roland micro cube in your place.
                    I'm about to get one myself probably...

it's really damn cheap, has great reviews and is supposed to have great amp modeling, very different tones, 6 boss effects, is damn small, and has the battery bonus, which is a cool feature IMO.

never tried one myself yet, but I'm sure I will when I'm in my GC next time...
                    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho:
                      but powerful pickups tend to disrupt it I've found.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean something like a ToneZone or do you mean an X2N?

Comment

Laney LC15R, one channel but you can crank it to sound like a BEAST (for its size). All valve as well [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

Super Distortion. I don't dare expose it to EMGs...

Comment

The Roland Micro Cube gets my vote, and I sell little practice amps for a living, along with budget guitars, strings, pedals etc. It sounds excellent and is surprisingly loud for how small it is. The effects are good and the models sound good too, and it's under $200 (around $160-$170). We always sell them fast when we get them in.

Comment

I have one of them small Laney hardcore amps, a 15 watter. It's a nice little amp for playing at the appartment. The 30w version has two OD modes. The low gain one sounds a lot like an 80s Laney valve amp. Definitely worth checking out.
                              My kid brother has the Cube 30. It's true that it sounds pretty good, but powerful pickups tend to disrupt it I've found.

Comment

Working...
                              X