Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLLY - The Atomic Reactor is available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FINALLLY - The Atomic Reactor is available!

Yeah I thought about that yestiddy - the Ohms difference as well. I may just do that after NAMM [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

...AND IT\'S HERE!

Ok, finally got it today, and the first thing you notice (well, ONE fo the first) is that it has no knobs. Just a power switch, input, and light on top, and L/R Sends on the back with one Return.

It also comes with 3 brackets - one for the POD, one for the XT, and a blank one for whatever.
      The instructions for putting your modeller in place seem a bit vague, but I finally got it in.

All volume is controlled via the modeller, which means you can't tweak the power amp.

It seems to be well-built, but some of the silver paint of the logo has already worn off (or was it supposed to look like that?) and the grill cloth is not 100% aligned (you can see some waviness). Nitpicks, yes, but just in case someone was thinking of buying one as a collector's item, you'd hafta pick through 'em to find the best looker.

It does sound good, though I haven't yet been able to crank it.

The cabinet is totally enclosed, with a "typical" honeycomb grill to let air get to the tubes.

Hopefully they'll do a 2x10 bass version with a 1x15 extension [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Re: ...AND IT\'S HERE!

Thanks for the quick review! I'm really dying to try one of these babies out...

Comment

I don't know if I am diggin it myself. Sounds like a marginal amp and the reviews that I have read have not been "gushing". I would love to A/B one next to a Flextone 3 or a Vetta combo. I have used both SS power amps and all tube power amps to run my digital modelers and I really can't tell too much of a difference. Right now.. I am not sold on the whole concept of it.

Comment

Are the Flextone and Vetta the same price?

It's more of a convenience thing, really, for those who have had a POD for years and for whatever reason have not moved to a Flextone or Vetta, and who want an amp for their "perfect" POD patches without trying to MIDI dump them to a new bigger unit.

As for "gushing", there's nothing to gush about - it's an 18watt tube poweramp in a dual-ported 1x12 cabinet with no knob to flood the tubes. Anyone who had a decent amp to compare it to most likely has a Mesa, Marshall, Vetta, or BV that has more features built-in (including a knob to overdrive the poweramp), so for them to gush about this thing it would have to stomp the other bigger amps, which it clearly is not designed to do.

This is an "upgrade" amp - move up from a Peavey Transtube to REAL tube power, and instead of getting a XXX or Mesa, buy a Vetta or Flextone. It's no different than any other mid-level amp on the market.

Newc

Comment

Let us know more after you've used it awhile.
              I'm very curious about this amp because I've got
              a Pod XT.

Comment

Well, I'm using a 50W Marshall solid state combo as my poweramp... it's not being fully "appreciated" as such since I'm using my GT-6 to get all my tones. I could sell my Marshall and get this thing instead.

Comment

Hey Newc how is the volume on that thing ?? Will it keep up with a drummer in a small bar type setting ??
                  BTW, have you seen the new model packs for the pod xt !!! Woohoo Can you say mini-Vetta !!!

Comment

Ok, I cranked it for a bit this afternoon, and it probably won't keep up with a drummer unless you mic it through the PA, but it might be good as a monitor for the drummer (mine always liked to have my guitar piped into his monitor when we played). If you crank the POD's Master Volume knob past halfway the poweramp overdrives (or rather, starts to flubb).

And I'm definitely planning on having Pete mod my Twisterproto to replace the amp in the Atomic - the Twister maintains the same tone at all volume levels, but the Atomic changes as the volume increases.

Newc

Comment

Working...
                    X