Problem with my .22...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my .22...

Pete, or anybody else who works on amps, I've got a problem with my Studio .22. I'm hearing what I could best describe as a very subtle 60 cycle hum (ghosting) under the notes I play. I only hear it when the amp is reproducing a note. I can hear it best on the overdrive channel, but I *think* I can hear it clean, too. It's REALLY subtle and I can best hear it when I play a high note. The amp is silent when I'm not playing. It's not a note as it never changes pitch. It sounds like 60 cycle hum under the note. It's so subtle I can easily ignore it, but after playing a while I start to hear it again. Makes no difference how hot or cold the amp is.

Any ideas? I've tried different tubes, speakers, and guitars so far.

I'm stumped!

Re: Problem with my .22...

This sounds silly....but are you near flourescent lighting or on a circuit with flourescent lighting??

Is the recepticle you are plugging your amp into the grounding type and is the ground intact?

Amps seem to pick up a lot of line noise, especially tube amps (why, I don't know [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] ). Flourescent lights affect the grounding path also due to the ballasts and subsequent discharge(s) and oscillation.

I would also check the integrity of the internal ground lug in the amp.

Try the amp on another circuit perhaps or one which doesn't share lighting/convenience loads.

Comment

The amp did the same thing in my house in Arizona. Both this house and the Az. house had modern wiring, so it's not the AC circut.

It dosen't make a sound unless I am playing a note.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Well, it was just a thought for ya [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A buddy of mine has a dedicated practice room/studio that we wired (I used to be a practicing electrician in ME and still hold a liscence).

We wired it up similar to a computer room at universities etc. where we used a isolated ground system.

There is absoutley NO line/ground noise [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] at all and we separated the lighting/convenience loads to eliminate that also.

I dunno....I'm sure Pete or some of the others will have more insight than I do.

Comment

Hearing it on both channels I would have thought it would have been a bad output tube [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] sounds like a frustrating problem. Did you try a different cable? Do you get the hum woithout nothing pluged into it with the volume cranked?

It could be a bad tube socket, cap or filter, pot or eq. I don't know enough about what transofmers do when they go south but wouldn't think that would be it.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I know just enough to really screw myself, but I was thinking Filter Caps.

Again, it only does this subtle 60 cycle sounding hum UNDER the note I'm playing. I can hear it best sustaining a high note. The second I stop the note, it stops and the amp is quiet.

I've tried tubes, cables, speakers, guitars, and states.

Comment

It sounds like filter caps. If it was anything to do with the AC power you'd hear it whether you were playing or not. The caps store their energy until you hit a note, and then release it so it's most likely those.

Comment

And thank YOU, Ross!

Comment

I had a ceiling fan that when on in the same room, did what you are describing to my .22+. If you know it isn't the electricity, I'd suspect filter caps, since the amp is probably around 15 years old. Depending on how often it was used, the caps could be bad. It's better for an amp to be played at least some often than left in storage for years and then played - this recharges the filter caps and helps keep them alive.

The only good thing about this is that if you replace bad filter caps, your amp will get more low end, punch and balls than it had before.

Pete

Comment

Thank you Pete, much appreciated.

Comment

No problem. You guys are making me really interested to try out one of these amps. Chuck, how does it compare to the SLO? I love my SLO, but it's completely overpowered for anywhere I see myself playing anymore.

Comment

It is very different from an SLO. SLO's are shrill and extremely aggressive sounding. I compare my Studio 22 to a Mark IV regarding tone. The Studio 22 has a unique voice that is a combination of Boogie, Marshall and Fender. At high volume it sounds absolutely fanstastic. Smooth, tight and very articulate.

Comment

I hear ya Ross. I think I liked my SLO best with a Hotplate, even though it did affect the tone a bit.
                          The Studio .22 is an amazing little amp. With the 5 band EQ you can sculpt many different tones out of it. I have owned three of these over the years and right now it's the only amp I have. Put it this way: I am 100% satisfied with my sound and the amp always makes me smile.

Mine has Celestion Greenbacks in the amp and in the 1x12 matching cabinet, and I'm running a 5751 in the #1 position.

It won't, however, keep up with a hard hitting rock drummer. I don't think you're in that position, so all I can say is find one! You won't be sorry!

Also, keep in mind that the .22 is a different animal than the Subways, DC's, F20's, etc. I love mine!!

Comment

I agree with Chuck 100%. The Studio .22 sounds like a Boogie but it doesn't sound like the other "calibers". I have a Nomad 45 and channel 2 on the Nomad is similar but not as toneful and open. I don't use mine since I got the Boss GT-6 but I have to say it does make me smile everytime I hit a power chord. Mine doesn't have the EQ and with the master on 6.5 and the volume on 5 it nails Page's tone and drive on Heartbreaker. Dial the mids down and increase the gain to around 8 and it is similar to Metallica's rhythm tone on Master of Puppets.

Comment

As I remember it, the .22+ has an extra control for the clean gain/volume that the .22 doesn't have, correct.(?) So for live use, I'd want to only look for a .22+ I believe.

Chuck, you're correct about a loud drummer no longer being an issue for me. I've been surviving just fine on my Fender Champ + a pedal for everything during the last year. (Having a good PA and a great soundman are wonderful, I might add! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) I have some things coming up that will require more than the Champ, and I'd really like to get away from pedals if possible. The SLO will most likely still be overkill for those, but I might try it with my Marshall SE-100 and see how it works. The SLO isn't going anywhere yet, but if I can scrape up enough to try out a .22+ I'll definitely give one a serious tryout.

Comment

Working...
                              X