Pre-amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-amp

How does the VHT GP3 stack up? What doe you guys like?

Re: Pre-amp

I like the Peavey Rock Master from a bygone era. But don't judge from me, i've only played through 3 preamps in my life: the Digitech 2120 (or 2112? something like that), ADA MP1 and the Rock Master.

Comment

It is a very nice preamp with a lot of control ability. Well made with good parts, and certainly a pro unit. Does the scooped metal stuff extremely well.

I use a Custom Audio CAE3+se myself, but still look for better versatility really, it's limited. But, a very cool sounding all around preamp nonetheless. I do from extremely brutal chug, to well defined lead lines, to beautiful cleans. Kicks ass for a 3 channel preamp. It's just sorta antiquated. But, sounds damn good.

If you are planning on an expenditure like that, I would look seriously at the ENGL preamp... It has more flexibilty to offer. And, well you can't argue much with the ENGL tone.

Comment

I use an old Mesa Quad. sounds pretty good, but the 4 channels are actually 2 channels with different gain and presence mode (to make a long story short). there is always a concession in one of the channels, and that bothers me somethimes, but it is very versatile

harrald

Comment

I'm on my 2nd Rockmaster and I really like them. Seems my first one had more gain than my current one. I've recently installed fresh high-gain Eurotubes from JJ's. So the ENGL pre can do everything the GP3 can do and more?? How do both of these compare with the Fish?

Comment

I hear the Fish isn't all that, and from what I've heard it's definitely not worthy of its current pricing.

I'd look to at least checking out the ENGL for a high end preamp.

Comment

The GP3 is a great unit. Well built and sounds even better. The design & sound is very similar to the VHT UL head. Pair it up with either the VHT 2/50/2 or VHT 2/90/2 power amps and crank it.

Comment

I have a VHT 2902 paired with my Rockmaster. If I upgraded I would seriously consider the GP3. But I'll say this, tonight I was playing my Line6 AX212 through my Marshall 1960 4X12 and I'll be damned if it didn't sound really good. It's moments like this I wonder why I have nearly $2000 in my rack when I can get by on the Line6 and the cab and the only people that will turn their noses up to it would be tube purists.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It is a very nice preamp with a lot of control ability. Well made with good parts, and certainly a pro unit. Does the scooped metal stuff extremely well.

I use a Custom Audio CAE3+se myself, but still look for better versatility really, it's limited. But, a very cool sounding all around preamp nonetheless. I do from extremely brutal chug, to well defined lead lines, to beautiful cleans. Kicks ass for a 3 channel preamp. It's just sorta antiquated. But, sounds damn good.

If you are planning on an expenditure like that, I would look seriously at the ENGL preamp... It has more flexibilty to offer. And, well you can't argue much with the ENGL tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I prefer the CAE over the ENGL preamps, although I never heard the 3+SE, just the 3+. According to a friend of mine that sees a lot of preamps in his shop, there's still no beating the 3+. I can only confirm that to my ears the 3+ is the clear winner when compared to an ADA mp-1, Marshall jmp-1, Peavey rock master, VHT GP3, ENGL 580 or any line6 stuff for that matter.
                  The VHT GP3 is nice, but I'd go for a CAE if you can find one. If you want versatility, you can always incorporate some cool drive pedals (Xotic, Barber, zvex etc..) or a very good eq (like the one I talked about in the EQ thread).
                  Also talking high-gain, the 3+ is a definate winner. With the gain on only 9/12 you have more than enough power, the dynamics are awesome and there's a lot of punch in the sound.

Comment

I use a Marshall JMP-1 mixed with my Uberschall when recording ...I still am a big fan of the Marshall ....I know John isn't

It NAILS ...Glen Drover's (Eidolon) tone to a cross .....and then some..also get a fine old Oliva tone as well....and does a good Job at eddie...I still play it all the time!!!

I think John's CAE absolutely smokes (after he **** around with it)....he's crazy ...he has enough versatility ...he just coo coo...more than I am sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I use a Marshall JMP-1 mixed with my Uberschall when recording ...I still am a big fan of the Marshall ....I know John isn't

It NAILS ...Glen Drover's (Eidolon) tone to a cross .....and then some..also get a fine old Oliva tone as well....and does a good Job at eddie...I still play it all the time!!!

I think John's CAE absolutely smokes (after he **** around with it)....he's crazy ...he has enough versatility ...he just coo coo...more than I am sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

try using a marshall jmp-1 on the left and an ada mp1 on the right, mic them both and then mix them together into a mono track. You can get a real powerful sound this way!!!!
                      Very old Metallica sounding BTW

Leon..

Comment

Yeah Leon ...I can believe that ....I always believed to find a great tone blending a couple or several amps in combination

John will remember that long ago I used an Ampeg Lee Jackson/5150/Recto/Marshall JCM 800....all at the same time

in a little room ...."it was huge"......(Tiny Elvis)

Maybe I should do that again..but with four Ubers all EQ'd differently... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Egnater M4 modular preamp here. Very thick real-tube sounding kinda jobbie. You can buy and stick in various tube-based amp sim modules or have custom modules made. Extremely versatile...especially with lots of extra sound goodies. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When I've tried the VHT preamp, it just never did it for me. Seemed kinda...I dunno...weak and thin overall. Though I would like to get it in my rack with the rest of my gear and see what I could do with it.

Stu

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Maybe I should do that again..but with four Ubers all EQ'd differently... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a real great idea!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X