Ecstacy Jones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecstacy Jones...

Gonna be able to afford a used Ecstacy in about a week. I always wanted one. Should I do it? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

BTW: I'm a keepin that title for a band name...

Re: Ecstacy Jones...

Depends on what you want.

The Ecstacy sounds, to me, like the most bad-ass hod-rodded Marshall ever. If you're looking for the Recto-style aggresiveness, this isn't your amp, IMO, but they do sound great.

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

The most aggresssive I get anymore is Credence Clearwater Revival, so...

Maybe a Fender Twin? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Bawawaaahahahahwawa!!!!!
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Chuckracer:

IIRC At one time you compared the XTC side to side with the SLO, and prefered the SLO... what makes you like the XTC more now?

(or am I mistaking you for someone else?)

Comment

Naw, that was me. I also at various times swore GMPs were the worlds best guitars, aat other times of the year Charvels and GMWs. Now I claim Suhrs are where its at. It's the ever evolving world on top of my shoulders syndrome.:p

The one thing the Bogner has over the SLO in spades is flexability, and that's what I want right now. I've never disliked the sound of the Ecstacy, but side by side the SLO does sound better to my ears. I suppose some of it having had the SLO for a year or so, there's a bit of "been there done that". Trust me, I'm looking at SLO prices as well, but I really think this time I want the Bogner. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

BTW, spellcheck ain't working...

Comment

I say go for it. Whatever blows your hair back. If you don't like the Bogner you can always sell it and get an SLO. Not mine though! Heh heh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]!

And as far as GMP... Suhr... Hondos... Whatever... Every guitar plays different. One might play better than others YOU have played and vice versa... The fun is finding what you like and ones that you like more! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also... Ron is probably freaking out right now because the spell check isn't working so everyone try their best to not **** up! lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Gonna be able to afford a used Ecstacy in about a week. I always wanted one. Should I do it? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

BTW: I'm a keepin that title for a band name...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could afford one Chuck I would have one. If nothing else so I could play around with it for awhile and see if I really wanted to keep it or not.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Naw, that was me. I also at various times swore GMPs were the worlds best guitars, aat other times of the year Charvels and GMWs. Now I claim Suhrs are where its at. It's the ever evolving world on top of my shoulders syndrome.:p

The one thing the Bogner has over the SLO in spades is flexability, and that's what I want right now. I've never disliked the sound of the Ecstacy, but side by side the SLO does sound better to my ears. I suppose some of it having had the SLO for a year or so, there's a bit of "been there done that". Trust me, I'm looking at SLO prices as well, but I really think this time I want the Bogner. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you need a PodXT...yeah thats right [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Versatility usually = 2 amps for me.

Get a Bogner...if you don't like it you can get rid of and say you've been there and done that too [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] A buddy of mine has a little Bogner 1x12 and it is awesome, not the brutal gain monsters, not sure of the model but this thing sounded amazing, very warm and distinct sounding.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Go for it Chuck. I think you'll be more than happy with it.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Chuck as you know I have both and it is a tough call which is "better." I'll stand by my original stance that for heading out to a jam to play strictly metal/hard rock where you are going to grip it and rip it with one sound...the SLO is unbeatable (to me). If you are going to play a show or jam and want to do everything from Van Morrison to Van Halen the Bogner is it (for me). What playing situation do you find yourself in most often?

Of course my recent foray into vintage Marshall Super Bass land took me off into another world but I ain't dragging a hotplate and variac to a gig or jam. I'll take the SLO.

Something else to consider is maintenance and repair. I cracked open the hood of the 100B for the first time a few weeks ago. WHOA! The entire underside chassis is an ocean of circuit board, ribbon connectors, and extremely complex wiring. I would not trust anyone other than Bogner to repair that thing. My SLO I'd be as comfortable tinkering with as I am with the Marshall.

Of course you don't keep anything for more than three weeks so that may be of negligible concern to you! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You will love an Ecstasy but if I had to choose one, it'd probably be the SLO. The sound of those amps is intoxicating to me. The Bogner is superb, crisp, and highly refined...but does not have as unique a quality to its tone, if that makes sense.

Maybe a good analogy is a one hum v-trem Charvel strathead vs. a neckthrough soloist with a Floyd, H-S-S, and lots of knobs and switches to play with. Both great, what's best for what you do?

Oh, last thing, get an original 100B if you make the jump.
                        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The most aggresssive I get anymore is Credence Clearwater Revival, so...

Maybe a Fender Twin? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

On clean and crunch, the XTC is also very responsive and it has a clear tone I haven't heard in many other amps before.
                          If it's just crunch and clean you need and no high gain, maybe you should also look at the dedicated amps for that kind of stuff, like a matchless, guytron, naylor, devided by 13 or something.
                          But the Bogner is definately a keeper!!! I'll never sell mine!!

Leon..

Comment

Leon, I was joking about that. I'm still a ripper, but I'm living so far from a real music scene now it's actually funny. OK, actually it's sad...but I will persevre...

Bret, I know what you mean about the sound quality of the SLO. One thing I know the Bogner will never reproduce is that open airy sound the SLO has, but I think I need flexibility to find a gig up here in the sticks. I think. The shitty part is no matter what I buy, it will most likely spend its life with me (all three weeks! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
                            running through a hot plate. Now, if I go the Soldano route again, I may just go with another Hot Rod. I remember how close they sounded to the SLO, and at a grand savings, I can probably convince my ear that it's the same and have a ball. On the other hand, we have four fingers and a thumb...

Very good points though Bret, and I do agree that while the Bogner certainly dosen't suck in any way, the SLO IS the better sounding amp (to my ears). Great food for thought...thanks!

Comment

Hey Chuck. Their have been a few HR's on Ebay lately. Mostly 100''s.

Comment

Working...
                              X