Ecstacy Jones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ecstacy Jones...

If you're looking for an amp that covers a lot of ground sonicly, you might want to watch for one of the Egnater TOL100s also. I've owned both the Rocktron and pre-Rocktron versions and have been very impressed with both. You get four very good sounding channels, midi switching, a good loop, and they run about half what a used SLO or XTC would. I haven't played an XTC enough to do real comparison with it, but I could certainly compare one to the SLO. In fact, I owned the last one at the same time I owned my SLO and kept both around for several months before deciding to sell one to finance other purchases. If I was doing cover band material, I would have kept the TOL100. Pete also owned one of these before he went to the darkside (moddeling) so ask him about it too.

Comment

Thanks Ross. I'm watching one on the bay right now. I remember when Pete had his he was pretty impressed with it as well. He pit up some clips at one point, and I remember it having that open, airy sound the SLO does so well and few other amps get.

My major problem is I have been listening to those Blue channel plexi mode Ecstacy Classic clips on the Bogner site. Whew!! Killer stuff!!
      It's on my radar!

Comment

Ditto what Todd said...
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          If you're looking for an amp that covers a lot of ground sonicly, you might want to watch for one of the Egnater TOL100s also. I've owned both the Rocktron and pre-Rocktron versions and have been very impressed with both. You get four very good sounding channels, midi switching, a good loop, and they run about half what a used SLO or XTC would. I haven't played an XTC enough to do real comparison with it, but I could certainly compare one to the SLO. In fact, I owned the last one at the same time I owned my SLO and kept both around for several months before deciding to sell one to finance other purchases. If I was doing cover band material, I would have kept the TOL100. Pete also owned one of these before he went to the darkside (moddeling) so ask him about it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck
          I have an Egnater TOL 100 and I can say it is a great head. I played a few SLO's before and always like them and the egnater has tones like that.The four channels, loop,midi switching ect gives it a lot to offer. I paid around $1100 for mine and its a ton of amp for that. I'll have an ecstacy here to a/b it with Saturday and can let you know what I think.I didnt feel the SLO fit My playing style and the Egnater has similaritys to Me so I thought a few times about selling it but then I play it again and have second thoughts again if ya know what I mean.The clean Channel kills and then it progresses from there.Great reverb too! Read Harmony Central reviews on it,they helped Me decide.
          JohnnyMac
          Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

I'd grab a TOL100 Egnater and see what you think - they sell for around a grand used, and if you don't dig it, then it would be easier/quicker to sell than a $2k + amp. The ONLY bad thing I can say about the TOL is that if you have to play within a few feet of it, the thing hums quite a bit due to the toroidal transformer. But get 5-7 feet away and it's quiet again. Bruce Egnater also does mods to these if you get one and it's close but not quite there. It's also midi footswitchable, so you can use it easily with your midi gear too like processors, etc. Plus it had THE best clean channel of any channel switching amp I ever had - on a par with my Budda Superdrive and also the Mesa Mk III head I had.

Pete

Comment

You should go for it.
              If you decide to sell it, it is easy to sell and get your money back if you are buying a used one.
              I wish I could spend that kind of money for an amp ( I want a Cornford MKII or maybe a 70's MArshall and send it to John Suhr for 2CHs mod) but I started to look in differnet way and now I would prefer to spend less for amps and more for guitars.
              I used to spend more money for amps but I never get to play loud at home since my daughter is around and I am not in a band.. and I am happy with a combo.
              Just my opinion.

Comment

I had an Ecstacy Classic, great amp. But I ended up getting rid of it because it was too smooth and refined sounding. I like the sound of a pissed off Marshall better. If I could have justified sitting on $3000+ amp, I would still have it, because it is definately one of the best channel switching amps.

Comment

CHUCK - i think you'd be happier with a Splawn amp form Splawn Guitars. call the guy up and chat with him about them. but from what your telling me about what you want and like, i think this would be the sound for you. BIG OPEN AIRY GOOD!
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Angry Marshall is a good term! My 1970 Super Bass has not been hack butchered thank goodness and it is mean and angry. I agree the Bogner (I have a 100B) is a bit more refined. That said, I could not use the angry Marshall at a gig.
                    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Marshall and Bogner.......hmmmmmmmm I wonder who else is a huge Marshall and Bogner nut. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have had an XTC for a while now, once it starts sounding bad....check out some other amps and it will quickly remind you how good the XTC really is.

Comment

Oh, one more thing...buy used....I bought one that shipped from Bogner in September of 2003 in factory condition about 3 months ago for $2100.00 vs. the $3200.00 + tax at my local store........thanks to a member on this board who tipped me to it. I feel I can get my money back at any time but I don't see myself dumping this anytime soon. I'm not going to claim my amp search is over, I will say that my ,"BASE", sound is found ( all channels), so in that sense I guess it is over......warm and harmonically lush in the best sense of the word is how I describe the XTC. The clean gets mixed reviews and I won't say it's Fender clean, I will say it is really nice and articulate just not as chimey as some may like...it definately works for me. While the XTC will reach into metal territory, overall I think it is just basically the best Rock amp with a sweet vintagy vibe to it that I have found. For the aggressive metal thing...I have a VHT UL head on the way...I hope I'll like it. I tried the XTC with a MESA cab...did'nt like it.....I now play it with a Bogner 4x12 slant.....flat out superb sound. If there is something you are not liking in the sound of the XTC.....don't change it.....try it mixed with the other standard instruments ,(drums, bass, etc.)......be prepared to be blown away....it mixes so well. The only negative I can give the amp...I don't like the loop. The best loop I have ever come across is the MESA MK IV.....absolutely dead transparent.

Comment

Working...
                          X