Can't Choose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Choose.

Im thinking of getting myself a new 20-30w amp. I will be moving house in a week or two and need something small that still has a pretty good sound in clean and overdrive.
    So far Ive been looking at the Marshall 30dfx and the Roland Cube 30. What would you guys recomend out of these two or is there somthing better ? My other problem is that living in Australia we mostly only see big name stuff, Marshall , Peavey , Roland, you get the idea.

Re: Can\'t Choose.

I'd go with the Cube.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I'd go with the Cube.

[/ QUOTE ]
      Any particular reason why ?

Comment

one more vote for the cube here. and yes, there are lots of reasons NOT to buy the marshall

-the marshall sounds bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] better than your usual 30w practice solid state amp though
        -the cube is WAY more versatile......and almost all the sounds are at least usable
        -the roland is sturdier; a bud of mine owns one and his has been right to hell and back...still working
        -dont know about australia, but here the roland is cheaper than the marshall

seriously, for the money the cube is hard to beat.

is there something better? for the price, i'd say no. maybe a pod or something similar, but thats not an amp, you cant just plug in and screw your neighbours if you want to.
        it depends on how much you want to spend.....maybe some small all tube combo would be nice, too. for example, i liked the hughes&kettner edition tube (15w all tube) very much when i tried it out....but you can buy 3 cubes for one h&k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

greets
        fragle

Comment

Not even a question. Go for the Roland Cube 30. Reason??? It sounds fantastic. There is nothing better for the price.

Comment

Cube 30 for sure, I'm looking for a used one now myself.

Comment

I agree with everyone here. Go with cube.

Comment

Geez, I'm not even looking for a smaller amp, but all your positive feedback makes me want to look into the Roland cube! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] What do these things go for?
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

$200-250 around here.

Comment

New Cube 30 owner here. On Ebay, they can be had for $150 - 180.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Can comment on the cube as I have never played through one. I would however recommend a Line6 Flextone III 1X12. They do sound great and they are 199.00 brand new at the Friend. I had the 2X12 version and the only reason I got rid of it was to trade up for a Vetta Combo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Can comment on the cube as I have never played through one. I would however recommend a Line6 Flextone III 1X12. They do sound great and they are 199.00 brand new at the Friend. I had the 2X12 version and the only reason I got rid of it was to trade up for a Vetta Combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies, it is late and I obviously wasn't paying enough attention. The 1X12 cabinet is 199.00 the amp itself is 549.00 it is however still a great amp with a ton of great sounds, just maybe a little out of your price range.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I went to the trusty local music store where I buy all my gear to see what they had. Low and behold the had both amps. What you guys said was spot on. After playing them both for about 30 mins each, I have come to agree with you that the Roland is a much more versatile little amp. I should have one pretty soon (gotta save fist). Thanks again guys for helping me spend my hard earned money on the hobby I love to spend it on.
                          [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Found A cube 30 in the neighborhood ads for $170 o.b.o Going tonight to see if he'll take $150. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                            I need a little amp to take in the backyard [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                            Finn

Comment

I just got home.
                              Just Played the cube 30 for a half hour. Got it for $160.
                              This thing is loud. I think it will do the job just fine, I still need to play around with it some more. I'm using the foot switch FS-5U to switch between clean/dirty. Works perfect. Now if I could only switch off an effect when I wanted to...I Assume the AUX in .. is for Effect pedals???
                              Finn

Comment

Working...
                              X