Vetta 2 caused a HUGE problem!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta 2 caused a HUGE problem!!!!

Ok, my bandmate was a diehard Mesa Dual and Triple recto user since the early 90's. He recently went to a Vetta after we demo'd one at the local store. The first few practices with the Vetta 2 head and his Mesa cabinets were incredible. His sound was killer. Now... here is the problem. His sound has been degrading ever since. His patch levels are all uneven, he is constantly tweaking before, during and after practices, and his general tone is now to processed sounding and either too thin or too over the top. I attribute this to a bad case of TS (tweakers syndrome). I told him to keep it simple and get his basic tones and stick with them but instead he is constantly pushing buttons, going through sub-menu's and changing his patches. He went from being a player who thought it was a huge involved deal to add a GE-7 and a delay in the effects loop of his Mesa to a player who can't stop pushing buttons. I am using the factory settings on my Boss GT-6 and pushing it through a Carvin X100B and my sound blows his away now. It took me 10 minutes to set it up and I haven't touched my settings in weeks.I think I did a bad thing turning him on to the Vetta 2.

Re: Vetta 2 caused a HUGE problem!!!!

does it have a way to restore the factory settings? If so, have him reset it and start over.

Comment

He's looking for a particular tone, but whatever he finds will have to work with yours as well as the drums and bass. Yes it's Tweaker's Syndrome - too many options available. However, I'd go with the idea that he should reset to factory and pick a few presets to use live, and focus on 4 tones for his personal use - 2 cleans (one dry, one effected), a rhythm crunch, and a lead tone (maybe a 2nd lead tone with whatever effects he wants).

I had my GSP21 Legend tweaked to get a bunch of great studio-quality tones - from raging Metal to the most shimmery cleans, as well as duping various "jam along" tones from CCR to Sabbath to whoever. Over time, I tweaked them all to death, and had to start over (glad I wrote it all down [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's a good idea. Factory reset might be the answer.

Comment

That's the same problem I had when I had my huge rack set-up. I couldn't keep my fingers off it, therefore spent way more time tweaking than playing.
          Head and cab now.

Comment

Maybe it needs a set of fresh tube simulators?

Hey, if you can't push buttons what good is that? And it's not like you can to a simple repair to a large DSP processor. Back to the manufacturer it goes!

Hopefully, they can still get a that models proprietary chipset! I can see that as being a problem when they go out of biz. No one will be able to fix them. Like trying find a chip for an MP-1 or an ADA Flanger...

Bummer.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Maybe it needs a set of fresh tube simulators?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Make sure you get the chinese ones for the best tone! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Well John... You know why I got rid of mine now....
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Tell him to push the buttons on his own time. Not @ rehearsal. Damn button pushers. Just kidd'in!! LOL It's a good thing he doesn't have access to the big red button that makes things go boom!!!
                  I ultimatly went back to just heads and stomp boxes as well. I fell victim to the almighty button pushing myself.
                  1990 Jackson Professional
                  1992 Dean ML
                  2004 Epiphone Flying V
                  2005 Epiphone Dot
                  2009 Fender Stratocaster
                  2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                  2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                  2006 Fender P Bass
                  2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                  1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                  1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                  Custom Pedalboard
                  ADA MP1
                  ADA FX2
                  Tascam 2488

Comment

It's crazy. Before, after and even DURING songs he is pushing buttons and adjusting patches. It seems that he has multiple banks of patches and the levels are different on all of them. If he turns up the master it fuggs up all his patches. I told him to set all his rhythm patches at the same level and for all his solo patches he should just boost the rhythm patches, add a little effects and mids and then save them. Keeping it simple is the key and he didn't follow my advise. He has stacked and unstacked patches all over the place. It is extremely confusing. We have a gig on the 7th and I don't think he will be able to cut it under the current conditions. Sounds like a factory restore is in order. That is going to be really fun to tell him tonight.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Well John... You know why I got rid of mine now....

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya brotha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So... where is the full kick ass review on the Powerball???

Comment

I have been so busy.... 1 haven't ahd enough time with it and 2 no time to write review...

As far as the Vetta though I personally got in that mndest of over tweaking and I did ruin some patches. That is even why I was looking at the HD147 which allows tweaking but still is more plug and play
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

John,those new amps with two rows of knobs create the same thing.....option anxiety!!A good amp should only need two knobs,loud & louder!! Is there any way to record a band practice & then have him listen to his sound compared to yours or his old sound,might be the only way to convince him!!

Comment

I just call it "rack syndrome". Same thing basically, too many tones, many of which are very processed sounding and/or mediocre, instead of a few true top notch tones. I have heard a few Vettas in action, lots of shock value at first, but as your hear more you can tell it's not quite there. It can tend to make you lazy as a player in a way to have all that firepower at your fingertips with no effort LOL.

Comment

Or you can just slap an Alesis 3630 in the loop and set it for Limiting - that'll keep everything relatively even.

I always set my stuff according to the clean patches' volumes. The ADA cannot get a truly crystal clear clean AND high Master Volume - it peaks like crazy. So, I had to set my clean patches up first, then back all the distorted patches down to match, then tweak the actual knobs to get it loud enough.

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X