XXX Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XXX Owners

I heavily leaning towards the Peavey XXX Head. Anyone have one? Likes/Dislikes? What cab are you using with it?

Re: XXX Owners

Have it, like it, using it with a 5150 straight. Sometimes with a Hush in the loop, sometimes with an MXR 108 eq in the loop.

What do I like... I like three channels, and I like that the clean is really clean and the dirt is really dirty. I like the active eq on crunch and ultra. I like the switch to go from 6L6 to EL34, but I've never run EL34 tubes in it. I like the damping switch, but I need to spend more time exploring that: I found some sounds I liked right away, and have been using those ever since.

And I like Peavey, but that is just me.

I don't really have any dislikes. Not yet, anyway. I've had it about six months.

There are other xxx owners here, and every one is a better source than I am: I hope some chime in, and you get some good info!

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I really like mine. I have the 212 combo. It's everything I always wanted and didn't know it. 3 Channels an no fuss. I think all 3 channels can produce a wide variety of tones. It's quiet as well.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

love mine. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        I want to try it with EL 34's but the 6L6's work great.
        I also want to try some other cabs with it, like the G-Flex. The dampening switch makes dramatic changes in the resonance so one way or another I'm sure you can get almost any cab to sound good with it.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Im running one with EL34's and a Mesa Recto cab. Its really tone heaven if you can tweak. It's not something that sounds good right out of the box, it takes sometime, but its worth it. alot of people like to crank the mids (or body) on these amps because they think thats theonly way to cut thru the mix. what they dont keep in mind is that the more you turn the mids up on amp with an active EQ, the harder it is to pick (a quote from a recto manual). all the controls are really sensitive, and have odd freq ranges. these amps aren't for everyone though, so try one out if you can. one thing i can't stand about them is the girl 'mud flap' grilling. other then that, its a great amp!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. Everything I've read about these has been positive. I have heard they work best if you use the XXX cab along with the head. Most of the reviews I have read don't specify which cab they are using, that's why I asked here. I tried out a 5150 and really liked it, haven't had a chance to try the XXX in person yet.

Comment

Go try it... I played the XXX Head and 4x12 Cab in a local music store and ran home to talk the wife into buying it for me last Christmas. Right now, I am pretty happy with the sounds I am getting without modifying.

Comment

Try one before you buy it if you can. They aren't for everyone. I find them too thin and buzzy for my tastes. I have modded a few and love them after the mods. EL34's sound much better to my ears. Some simple tube changes can do a lot for the tone. The active EQ takes some getting used to. Start with all the EQ's set at 12 o'clock and adjust from there. Kepping the channel gain below 12 o'clock on the crunch and ultra helps keep the buzz down too. I find it best to set the master volume at about 2 or 3 o'clock and use the channel volumes to adjust the overall level. The higher the master, the more into the power amp and the warmer the amp will sound.
                Jerry
                FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Many amps are buzzy....Due to its 12AX7 tubes... I don't like Sovtek 12AX7WA for this reason. Wich preamp tube brands do you have???

Comment

I prefer the EL34's myself. They sound more full. The tone is similar to a Dual Rectifier set on the vintage orange channel and spongy.

Comment

Actually they do sound a bit thin compared to a Fireball. but the fireball is too much distortion it's just "thzzzz thzz"

XXX does have a great lead and clean sound!
                      I Suggest trying it out with a Marshall 19xx 2*12 or 4*12

Played a Fireball thru a Marshall 1922 2*12 with my KE2 and it sounded really good [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      Tried, but couldn't achieve the same tone with a Behringer 412s, It just didn't sound as good [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

So i guess the same would apply for the XXX, sound alot better thru a Marshall cab [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I heard a XXX through a matching 4x12 and it rocked.
                        It was very loud and too much amp for me, but sounded
                        great. The guy was playing really chunky rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'm seriously considering a speaker swap in my Behringer cab. (Hey it was cheap...Like me!)
                          I like the design of the slant cab with the top speakers turned outward. It really makes a difference with the projection of sound.

I was thinking of getting hold of 4 of the speakers they use for the 5150 cab or the XXX cab and also porting the front of my cab with three 4" holes. That should get a similar bass response to the G-Flex. As a matter of fact, what speakers do they use in the G-Flex?
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Save your money. The Berhringer cab sucks. The wood is crap and the speakers are crap for anything heavy. Sell the Behringer and you can pick up a used 5150 cab for like $250 or maybe less.
                            Jerry
                            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I think Im going to get one, as soon as I raise $1200 or so dollars.

Gotta buy a cab too. All I have right now is a Peavey Classic 30 and a ME-50 for tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X