Splitting coils (SD '59 and JB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting coils (SD '59 and JB)

Does anybody here have a guitar which you can split the coils on (particular one with a '59 (neck) and JB (bridge))?
    I was wondering what those pickup sound like split. I have played guitars with the '59 and JB set up and I have played guitars with single coils (Strats and Teles), so I think I know what to expect, but what do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: Splitting coils (SD \'59 and JB)

I have one whith a distortion and and '59 wired with splits. I think the '59 sounds pretty good that way, although not as good as a "real" single coil.

I can't say I care for the distortion split, but I'm not much of a fan of bridge position singles, anyway.

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Thanks Michael!

Does anybody else have any experience with splitting coils?

Should I be expecting Strat and Tele tones? or what?

Thank,

Nick

Comment

I have my main guitar set up with a Duncan Jazz (neck) and Duncan Custom (bridge). There is a three way Les Paul style toggle switch and I use a DPDT switch to split both pickups with one throw. This configuration yields a lot of great tones and gives me a very versatile guitar. I especially like the split tone of the outside coils activated at once for clean pieces.
        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I have a guitar with a 59 and a JB with a coil split. I like the added tones I can achieve from it.I'd say it leans more towards a strat sound!
          Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Should I be expecting Strat and Tele tones? or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Just my humble opinion. I have a Fender Strat which have had Fender single coils and now has DiMarzio SC's and none of my humbucker equipped Jacksons (split or not) sounds like that Strat. I AM getting good tones from the Jackson's when split, but blindfolded and even severely drunk or sedated, i can pick out the Strat any day in an A/B test [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I've got a Fender Double Fat Strat with Pearly Gates Plus and '59, and it's got a super five-way switch. Position two is the inner coils of both pups (think John Petrucci clean sound), and position four is the top coil of the neck, which sounds pretty close to single coil and good enough to get by.

Also, make sure you get pickups that are four-conductor so you can split them. My Hamer had a JB/59 combo that were only two-conductor and could not be split.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks so much guys! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Nick

Comment

Working...
                X