need help with my randall rg 80 ph head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with my randall rg 80 ph head

I just got a used randall rg 80 ph head off of ebay for 180$. i know i shoulda played through an amp before i bought it but im dumb!!! well the clean channel is realy nice but the distortion channel totaly sux. i was wondering if this is supposed to be a high gain head??? if it is supposed to be a high gain head why is mine feeble and week??? anyone ever have one of these??? how did yours sound??? i was kinda hoping for a heavy grinding crunch but all i can get out of it is a semi distorted type of sound. please help me!!!! thanx in advance [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
    www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Re: need help with my randall rg 80 ph head

Are you running your pre gain almost, or all the way up and post or master level at 3 to 5 on the dist.channel ?Also sometimes the footswitch connector doesn't make all the connections right when they get older and well used and this will mess up your sound.Try moving the connector around as you sustain a power chord or note and see if it affects the sound.You may get one channel to sound good but then have the same problem on the other.This happened to me on my RG100ES.I was able to slightly bend some of the blades on the connector to make a tighter connection.There are people here on this board who could make you another switch if necessary or line you up with the elusive connector.

Comment

I can't volunteer for him, but I know that John / jgcable has some of the connectors.

My cousin has had an RG80ES that he bought new, and every couple of months he has to shoot some contact cleaner into the footswitch jack even though he doesn't have a footswitch, or else the two channels start bleeding onto each other. At least, I think that is how he has described the problem to me before.

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

PS
        on my amp The knobs are layed out differantly than what I was used to seeing. That is to say they have channel 2 first on the panel and then channel one and then they have the master knob before the gain knob.It took me while to realize what they had done and I couldn't get a decent distortion tone.Once I took a good look at the knobs and how they were layed out on the panel I was able to dial in some great tones.Higher gain or (pre) before lower master gain =distortion/lower gain or(pre) before higher master=clean

Comment

thanx guys you all rule. i dont have the footswitch for it, i have to find one somewhere. the randall fkn rocks now, i cleaned the the amp out, it had friggen mud in it. well not mud but it had so much friggn dust inside of it, it was horrible!!! now it grinds like a mofo!!!!!!!!!!! now i need the footswitch.

Comment

Finding the original footswitch could be kind of tough. I had to buy a diagram and build my own. If you want the diagram I can email it to you. Its not that hard to build. Let me know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Randall amps have a classic 80's metal tone. I have always been a fan. If you need any help with the footswitch let me know.

Comment

Diagram sent.

Comment

That's a hell of a head ....man I used to love RG80's ...I had a snakeskin one a black one and a grey ozite one ...they all sounded exactly the same and they have a great gain ...never played the clean channel on any of my amps..

I know the Randall cabs with the Jagaurs speakers really suck .....get a celestion cab for sure at least one w / celestion75GTs..

it's been years since I've owned those heads and would buy one again if I came by one in person cheap..

play around with like these guys sugested ...you should be OK..

I have an Uber now ....lots of gain there.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm not sure if the RG80s are the same way, but I have the 100 watt tube version (RGT100) and the treble, channel 2 master, and channel 1 master knobs all pull out for "brite", "compression", and "mid boost". I adds a few more tonal possibilities.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

No that 's a whole different monster ....not eventhe the full size Rg120 sounded like the Rg 80 ...the rg 80 always has a very warm and very saturated gain to my ear s....though it does seemed to get a bit obnoxious when pushed very loud over a heavy hitting drummer ....that's why I suggested a good 4 12 celestion cab ...like a Marshall 1960b for example ...it always seemed to work for me at the time and I kept buying them because I grew quite found of them to be honest...they were are very reliable and consistant amp....IMO.

and cheap!!!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

horns666, dude i got the randall rockin now it kicks ass, i was wondering if a bbe sonic maximizer of anything will make it any better???

Comment

Did you get the diagram o.k.? I tried a BBE 462 on my RG100ES. Made it sound like ****. Sucked out any decent tone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X