Tubes/Soldano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes/Soldano

I've gotten my Soldano and have been able to play it a bit. The tone is perfect. It just lacks a very small bit of gain. I've played with the factory Sovtek and a Chinese GT 12AX7. Anyone know a slightly hotter tube to try. If I can't get that (tone) I think I'll use a compressor or a weak distortion box to get that little bit it's missing.

Re: Tubes/Soldano

That Lacks of "very small bit" of gain is great actually.
    So you are able to add something to boost.
    Too much gain from amp sometimes can be harder to control.
    Not sure of which tubes to try but if in case of additing a pedal, Fulltone Fat Boost is a great pedal to boost, not adding gain.
    Also if there is effect loop, you can use BBE to add clearity and add high end.
    Then your amp would scream like crazy woman. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Tubes/Soldano

I use Chinese 12ax7a's in mine. They are cheapie shuang (Splelling?) tubes. It is plenty for me. I have a compressor/limiter/gate that I have in the loop and originally I ran it with a parametric eq too in there. I swore that was the way I would always run it. After a month I pulled that out of the loop and decided I liked it with nothing in the loop. The stuff I added took away from that bright airy wide open Soldano tone that they have. Mine has plenty of gain though. It is an SLO so maybe that has something to do with it but I have played a HR-50 and the gain is very close to the SLO. PM Chuckracer. He helped me tweak mine through conversation and it was a huge help. I am running a Modded Analogman silver mod TS-9 in channel 1 to get over the top gain. It works great for CH 2 but you will have to play with it to get it right. Also. I started out with the Sovtek 5881wxt power tubes in it. THen I threw in a set of Svet 6l6's. I got Kt66's a few weeks ago and I am going to move to them next. It sounds great with the Svet 6l6's but I wanted to try the KT's because I have heard so many good things about them in the SLO. Like I said before. Talk to Chuckracer and he should be able to help you out some. Chuck has owned a few Soldano's including the HR series that you have and the SLO. HE is your guy if you are talking about tubes and tweaking with these.

Comment

Working...
      X