WHATS A KICK ASS 4+12 CAB FOR PLAYING METAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WHATS A KICK ASS 4+12 CAB FOR PLAYING METAL

When Pat O'Brien was in the studio recording the new Cannibal Corpse album, he had access (and tried) to a lot of different cabinets and speakers (including the Mesa and Marshalls mentioned) and he ended up using the new Crate cabinets (straight front) with Celestion Vintage 30's because they sounded the heaviest and didn't fart out on the low end. He is using them on tour also. Pics: Pics

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      When Pat O'Brien was in the studio recording the new Cannibal Corpse album, he had access (and tried) to a lot of different cabinets and speakers (including the Mesa and Marshalls mentioned) and he ended up using the new Crate cabinets (straight front) with Celestion Vintage 30's because they sounded the heaviest and didn't fart out on the low end. He is using them on tour also. Pics: Pics

[/ QUOTE ]
      These BC RICH Vs look sooo cooool!!
      [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Cabs

[ QUOTE ]
        and is the 5150 cab good with anything else than 5150 head ? ( more mesa like amps )

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the novel idea of buying a cabinet based on how it sounds to YOU, not on the f---ing name badge or whether or not your friend recommends it.

[img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Grab YOUR amp, YOUR guitar and plug them into a bunch of different cabs and find the one that suits you and your playing style best.

My 5150 straight cab has some very well broken in 75W Celestions and sounds great with any amp. Last time I checked, the cab input wasn't 5150 specific.

Comment

There's absolutely no reason to put it that way dude. You know full well what he meant.
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

No, not 5150 specific, it just seems to be tuned well for it. I've own many 5150s, and owned many cabs, and the 5150 sounded best to me with its associated cab. As did the MESA recto worked nicest to me with its recto bottom actually. I'll figure they may tune them a bit to take advantage of stuff.

A 5150 into a 5150 bottom alllowed me to use the most resonance and gain without flubbing up. MUCH more than with a 75watt celestion bottom, it was quite noticeable. The MWESA bottom was close, but the 5150 was clearly doing it best. The MESA recto head sounded better into its own cab than into the 5150 for some reason as well.

No reason to be smart ass. This is just advice from someone who has owned all the stuff.

Comment

I run my 5150 II into a Rivera KHR bottom 4x12 cab.
              It's loaded with V30's. I've owned a few Mesa and Marshall cabs. The Rivera is by far superior IMO.

Uberkab kicks ass too!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                There's absolutely no reason to put it that way dude. You know full well what he meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken.

Not trying to be a smart ass at all... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

I say the line 6 vetta or hd amps....but marshall rocks too

Comment

I personally think Uberkab is a great sounding cab.

Comment

Why Marshall of course. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

BTW Mesas sound fantastic through Marshalls as well, I play a MkIII though Marshall 1960A and 1936 cabs. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Does anybody own or have experience with the straight Orange cabs? I did'nt like the MESA Traditional Straight cab unless it was absolutely dimed. I have a Bogner 4x12 angled cab which is awesome but just a little too loose in the low end for a really fast attack on the lows. I wonder if the Bogner Straight cab or the Uberschall improve on that....the Bogner cab I have really is a great lush sounding cab....just maybe not as aggressive for metal.

Comment

Different cabs act differently with different amp heads. What is consistent is Marshall and Mesa. I've used 1960 A and B cabs with great luck, all with 75w celestions. I also have used the older Carvin 4x12's for a while and they were alright.

I would really like to try Uberkabs or others but the costs of the cabs would have to be twice as good as a Marshall for me to fork over twice the money for one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One consideration would to go for two 2x12 vs a 4x12. I'm really liking the Mesa 90w Black Shadow in my combo so a few of the 2x12 recto cabs would be cool as hell. Here's one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...71171&rd=1
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have a vertical MESA 2x12, it really is a nice cab but it does not have near the depth of a 4x12. I will say it is a bit tighter sounding and two of them would be pretty kick ass I'm sure. As far as cost, I agree they are expensive at $1000.00 + tax but speaking for the Bogner 4x12 slant....they are worth every dime. Think early VH warmth and a deep lush bouncy feel, I have not heard another cab that even compares. It is a traditional SWEET sound, I would also like an agressive sounding cab that has warmth and maintains a tight PRONOUNCED low end with sweetness in the highs....those that know....is the Ubercab or an Orange my cab?

Comment

My friend wanted me to Ask you guys what would be a good cab for a vht pitbull ... ? marshall ,5150 ? mesa's bogner's are hard to get here , maybe engl , kettner's , crate voodoo (?)

he plays "shred" type music ...

Comment

I have not tried them but I'd be willing to bet a Marshall with GreenBacks would be good.....assuming you can't really get the others, MESA, Bogner , VHT, etc....

Comment

Working...
                                X