Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Marshall Hand Wireds: opinions, amp gurus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Marshall Hand Wireds: opinions, amp gurus?

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAM...ed-Series.html
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: New Marshall Hand Wireds: opinions, amp gurus?

I'm curious about the cabs....anybody?

Comment

Oooo, those 2x12's are going to be hot! This is inevitable since the market demand of these heads have been going to boutique copies and high priced originals. I think this is going to be very cool as they sound like faithful repros save for the closed cab on the 18 and some improvements. I'll look forward to both hitting the used market.
      I hope they are not limited production it didn't make any mention of it.

Comment

Old news [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

The HW series was released earlier this year at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt, Germany back in March.

Click here for more info/pics: LINK

There is also a 1967 SLP 100W HW which was not mentioned in the NAMM release. Supposed to be out later this year (Oct/Nov).

Comment

"We put these cheap low grade parts together by hand (more chances to screw it up with our cheap labor force) and sell it to you for way more than it's worth!"

It's a Marshall, it's gots to be gooder!

Comment

The original Plexi reissue from the early 90's was hand wired also, and overpriced as I'm sure these will be. (yawn) [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The original Plexi reissue from the early 90's was hand wired also, and overpriced as I'm sure these will be. (yawn) [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The new HW reissues are point-to-point (PTP) wired on a tag board... much more labor intensive then handwiring a printed circuit board (PCB). Comparing one of these new HW reissues to the current 1959SLP/1987X reissues is like comparing apple to oranges... they are different animals.

Furthermore since they haven't even been released here in the USA yet, why not reserve your judgement until you've actually played the amps before slamming them.
              [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                "We put these cheap low grade parts together by hand (more chances to screw it up with our cheap labor force) and sell it to you for way more than it's worth!"

It's a Marshall, it's gots to be gooder!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least they're not outsourcing the work to Japan like some companies to save on labor costs... *cough*CAE*cough* [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey "my" CAE is made in America, and is built like a tank with impressively overated for the application parts. IMO I'm not a fan of Bradshaw at all, and appreciate that John Suhr designed my preamp. Just from their lack of customer service, I'll never buy a new CAE product ever.

And hey, it's not like I wasn't a blindly led no holds barred Marshall follower as well at one time. I recovered though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Hey "my" CAE is made in America...

[/ QUOTE ]

The key word in that sentence being "my"... the new ones are all imports. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The new Marshall HW series may blow or blow you away... who knows? The only thing I'm saying is I wish people would at least wait to try the amp before slamming them. I see this sort of thing happen all the time with gear, and it's insane IMHO.

YMMV.

Comment

Well, Marshalls track record for not having a quality built amp since the late 80s (even the pre 80s stuff wasn't exactly superby built or of the "best" components, but of good value for its cost), is pretty much indicative of the possibilities.

Umm, check that spoiled milk in your fridge, maybe it got better! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yep, I know where CAE has sent its production to. Hence the "my" in parenthesis. Hopefully, they won't drop the ball so badly like many other companies and keep quality components. Wouldn't really count on it though.

My next amp will be most likely be ENGL anyways. They're doing ok for now.

Comment

I certainly think it's going to be interesting when some of the well heeled collectors compare a $3200 list marshall 18 watt head vs a real one, or even one of Graydon Stuckey's clones. I look forward to it.

How much are the original 18 watt marshalls selling for now? They will always appreciate more and be worth more than the reissues, and likely sound better... I mean, they are the originals that the reissues are trying to emulate.

Pete

Comment

The cabs can't be hard to duplicate although the speakers could be the ,"make it or break it" , with them. Bogner cabs are supposedly modeled after the old Marshall cabs and they sound great so....

I also agree to give Marshall the benefit of the doubt on these yet to hit the street amps. It's easy to be cynical but they are only responding to public interest and trying to make a buck in the process...they don't HAVE to do it....I think it's cool.

Question is if your going to drop a grand for a cab, do you get the RI Marshall or another Bogner which is a known good one? I've heard the Orange cabs are pretty kick ass too. A thousand bucks is alot for a cab but my Bogner really sounds sweet so is it really....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The new HW reissues are point-to-point (PTP) wired on a tag board... much more labor intensive then handwiring a printed circuit board (PCB). Comparing one of these new HW reissues to the current 1959SLP/1987X reissues is like comparing apple to oranges... they are different animals.

Furthermore since they haven't even been released here in the USA yet, why not reserve your judgement until you've actually played the amps before slamming them.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you read into my reply...you would've noticed I wasn't slamming the amp itself...just Marshall's ridiculous price tag on things lately. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And yes...I know the difference between PTP and PCB wiring. I used to be an amp tech at the only amp repair shop on the east coast who knew how to correctly repair Marshalls/Boogies/Ampegs/Fenders...etc...I was merely stating my opinion. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

And yes...I know the difference between PTP and PCB wiring. I used to be an amp tech at the only amp repair shop on the east coast who knew how to correctly repair Marshalls/Boogies/Ampegs/Fenders...etc...I was merely stating my opinion. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really???

Then why are you comparing a mass produced PCB amp (1959SLP reissue) to a limited production PTP amp (new HW series)? They are very different animals. I guess that's why you're no longer an "amp tech" eh?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BTW If you think they're overpriced, simply don't buy one! [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X