Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Marshall Hand Wireds: opinions, amp gurus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Marshall Hand Wireds: opinions, amp gurus?

Screw politics, we're argueing Marshalls here buddy!!!

Now if you'd said "Go POD!", now, that could be a problem...

Comment

GO POD GO POD GO POD GO POD!!!! Fight Fight Fight!!1

Comment

Tooling - stick to the topic, bro. Scroll down to the...

"Non Jackson/Charvel Related Talk"

...section. That where the posts that dont have relevance in any of the other forums go. There are few here that relish political debate more than I - but not when we are talking about AMPS in the AMPS AND EFFECTS forum.

mmmkay?
        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Having not heard the new 18 watt version, but having played through an old 18 watt version - and read about the $3200 price on the new - I think I would put my money into an Aiken Invader/Sabre/Intruder...take your pick...

There are several domestic companies making low watt Marshall clones for a lot less...but if you need it to say "Marshall" on the box - looks like they're taking care of you...I'll reserve my final judgment until I actually play one - but I still think my money would end up in Aikens shop.

Also - check out these guys: 17 Watt Marshall Clone

Steve E

Comment

Hey Nor....point taken. I was'nt trying to really change the tone of this thread just having a little fun at the amount of emotion people tend to let themselves fall into over something petty. Everybody has their opinion and that's what I love about forums...you here all opinions and learn alot along the way. Now on topic....I tend to like the boutique amps with a Marshall flavor . I love the high volume Marshall low end but can't stand the lack of sweetness in the high end of Marshalls but I would really like to play with these RI's IF they are in stores and available for demo. I would never buy one un-tested like I would a Bogner or such.

Comment

Get the right cab made of the right materials in the right way and you'll have the top end as well as lows. If you need more presence as well as tightness to lows you can add a BBE.
              I've found that top end isn't a problem in Marshalls, but rather the low end can have issues depending on your style. The El84's in these are going to have different tone & characteristics than El34's/6550's.

Comment

I've tried Marshall cabs of several flavors, Mesa cabs, several flavors, and finally the Bogner cab which if you could'nt tell...I like. I've tried several different speakers.....damned Marshall high end is never sweet to me....let me take that back...I can get the high end but the lows are mud, I dial in the lows and the high end loses its sweetness...DAMN!! I tried the BBE....uhhh, no not for me. I have to put this out there....I had a JCM 800 years ago and I've only been playing with the JCM2000's as of recent. I have played with some RI's but only in stores and I have never played the original Marshalls everybody raves about. I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit ignorant on this subject because my experience with the RI's and the originals they emulate is less than thorough, this includes modified Marshalls as well.

Comment

I'll tell ya, I had a JCM2000 here that we got a deal on, and could not get a good sound out of it that I liked, to save my life. Bill tried too, and we ended up ebaying it.

The best we got was using it clean, and running a Korg 104ds into it. That is pretty bad... Sad, I wish they made an amp that was cool, i used to swear by Marshalls really.

Comment

I dig the sound of that 2x12 combo, but for the money these things are probably going to be I think I'd rather have a Aiken Amp with more features.

Comment

I think we are supposed to get one of these for our 40th Anniversary stuff at work. If we do I'll be sure to give it a whirl and tell you guys how it is. Actually today we had a '79 JMP head that we bought in this morning-I really wanted to try it, but someone saw it sitting there and put it on layaway hours after it had been bought in! I didn't even get a chance to plug it into an outlet.

Comment

Uber...

but I still like my Marshall rack set up ....it makes me get great squeals ala Zakk and has a great livlet and articulate tone and feel.....and it has pretty lights on it.

on my Uber there is only a blue light on it ....

the key to a good tone is more lights blinking in your rack.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Since we are talking tone here ....I have talked user of Engls (Jack Frost) and told him bout the uber a couple years ago ....well he bought one along with a Deizel...the Engl has seem to take a back sat now.. he stated that with much enthusisam ...

basically so did John Schaffer when he switched to an Uber from his $5K Larry...I had a chance to speak to him about his opinion of the two he stated ..."there isn't any comparison"..

Now I just learned that Alexi switched to Uber ....which he needed too bad ....great player but his tone sucked.

But I know Darkane uses Engl ...and on their albums it sound amazing ....but so did Jon's Larry I though...and Kataklysm with a straight 5150.

I still think the best bang for the buck nowaday is still the 5150 .....just played one of those after playing my Uber for two years......it was a bit fuzzy which I remembered....but it was close to home..

DSL Marshalls suck so much ass it isn't funny ....the best sounding Marshalls I ever played and sound great to my ears for the style I play is My rack , JCM 800's and the ol' JMPs ...any heads from 900s and up just declined to total poop.....with the exception of the first issue blue anniversary series ...they didn't sound bad.,,,,but they ruined those too!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a 5150II that I love...never played a 5150 and I agree for approx. $800.00....5150's are the best bang for the buck. I also think they are better than the DSL's AND the Mesa Singles...they just kick ass.

Comment

Bigtime !!!!!

I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with a DSL and Mesa and I had them both...

I had the them both ....the key word here is "Had"..
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

On another topic...if you want to know where job outsourcing comes from...it's a govern...nevermind.

I think it's just a gimick to make more money on those new HW amps. I'll have to agree, Marshall has lost alot of it's luster, that they possesed so long ago.

Comment

Well BOTH of the ones we got have been sold already, the boxes have not even been open. I guess if I am nice to the guys who bought them, maybe they will let me come over and try them...

Comment

Working...
                                X