What can pound EMGS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can pound EMGS?

Need something that sounds as heavy as them, but w/o the battery...

Re: What can pound EMGS?

DiMarzio X2N.

Comment

Dimarzio TONE ZONE!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        DiMarzio X2N.

[/ QUOTE ]
        Definitely! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

And if more bass is wanted, go for a Duncan Invader.

The Tone Zone has lots of low and low mids, but it doesn't even come close to the gain of those pickups.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

x2n kills them I repalced all my emg guitars with the x2n. They are hot and very even like EMG's.

Comment

After using an X2N for about a year now in my DK2, I've come to the conclusion that it has too much gain. Even more than an 81 it seems [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            You may want to look into a Super Distortion or something else with med/high output... the X2N is a BRUTAL, take-no-prisoners pup. It can handle clean and even rocky stuff, but you've got to be REALLY careful with that gain knob.

Comment

X2N and the Invader. PERIOD.

Comment

Thanks X2N it is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Baum83 is 100% correct about the gain...

Comment

I ran a Invader in my xtrr for a year or so and although the output of the Invader was about the same as my 81, it was not as even as the 81 (in my fusion). The Invader had more bass and lower mids that made it very muddy. I liked the Invader only when I ran it through my crappy 2x12 solid state Crate and it was nice through a Valvestate also but, as soon as I got a high gain tube amp the Invader was unbearable. I think it gave some warmth to the cold SS amps so it wasn't bad in that application.

I soon replaced it with a 81 and the sound was much tighter. I never had to mod a guitar to put the batt in and I have never had on up and die on me. I think I change em about once a year.

The EMG H4 is suppose to be a passive version of the 81. I have not heard it though.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I want to try X2N too but wondering if it only can sound heavy?
                      How about Clean sound?
                      Can it handle some other type of sound?
                      Like Little less gain setting?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I ran a Invader in my xtrr for a year or so and although the output of the Invader was about the same as my 81, it was not as even as the 81 (in my fusion). The Invader had more bass and lower mids that made it very muddy. I liked the Invader only when I ran it through my crappy 2x12 solid state Crate and it was nice through a Valvestate also but, as soon as I got a high gain tube amp the Invader was unbearable. I think it gave some warmth to the cold SS amps so it wasn't bad in that application.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I put two Invaders in my old Kelly XLR, and they weren't muddy at all. But I did play it through my old Valvestate, so it's probably like what you say about the SS amps. I now play through a Mesa tube combo but I don't have the guitar any more, so I can't say how it is through a tube amp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I want to try X2N too but wondering if it only can sound heavy?
                          How about Clean sound?
                          Can it handle some other type of sound?
                          Like Little less gain setting?

[/ QUOTE ]
                          It does clean sounds very well if you've got a dedicated clean channel. If you have a one-channel amp, you're definitely going to have to back off on the gain control or volume knob on your guitar quite a bit, though.

Comment

I have coil tapped them and they clean up great that way too. They sound very Fende-rsh as a single coil. If you back your volume slightly on ytour guitar the gain tightens up fine.

Also, numbers wise it compares to a Duncan Custom according to both websites. Same magnet too. I know a bunch of people here that swear by those too. I don't think other passive pickups (to my ears anyway) sound as even as the X2n because the X2n is a blade pickup. All the other pickups mentioned have poles which makes the pickup grab individual string vibrations different. The Blade helps keep the frequencies more even which is why I feel the x2n will do it for you. The Lawrence pickup that used to come stock with Jacksons have Blades but the output was not as high as the X2n. There is another blade pickup I am thinking of but can't remember the brand right now... IF I remember I will chime in again. I still think the X2n is the pickup that will be the closest to what you are looking for though.

Comment

APC PERSUADER LEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pounds anything!
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X