Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What can pound EMGS?

[ QUOTE ]
    APC PERSUADER LEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pounds anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Are you looking for an APC endorsement? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Surprisingly, EMGs are not overbearingly hot to my ears. They're fat and clear, which is all that matters to me. I don't get it when people say they are ultra high output pickups. They're just the clearest pickups I've ever heard, but then again, I'm dying to try out some APCs.

With that being said, I think the hottest passive pickup I've tried out so far is the Invader. It was like putting an overdrive pedal in front of a clean amp when I tried out a guitar with that pickup.

I wanna try out that X2N too now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

What about the new Dimebag pickup. Never have heard one but should be pretty heavy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have coil tapped them and they clean up great that way too. They sound very Fende-rsh as a single coil. If you back your volume slightly on ytour guitar the gain tightens up fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
        Yep, coil tapped does sound great. I had mine in my old Kramer for many years and it had a three-way mini switch hooked up for humbucker/single coil/phase, and it was very cool. The hotter the humbucking pickup, the better it will emulate a single coil sound when split... and the X2N does that very well.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Word told me that the Dimebag pickup is a rip off of the X2N. I'd go by his advice anyday of the week.

Speeking of Word, does anybody know how to get ahold of him? He switched e-mail addresses and I seem to have lost his number.

I have yet to hear an x2n (sad huh? that's what you get for living in Idaho. Sigh...). the heaviest pickup that I could find was a Tonni Iommi sig, and it sounds pretty damn good to my ears. It's got some serious output (to my knowledge, it's the highest output that Gibson makes) and can cause feedback issues. Sweet pickup overall though.

Comment

Which "Dimebag pickup" are you referring to, the Bill Lawrence one or the Seymour Duncan one? I know the Lawrence one isn't strictly his pickup, but you know what I mean. The Duncan Dimebucker was based on Dimebag's favorite Lawrence pickups, apparently, and tweaked a bit to suit his current needs.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Which "Dimebag pickup" are you referring to, the Bill Lawrence one or the Seymour Duncan one? I know the Lawrence one isn't strictly his pickup, but you know what I mean. The Duncan Dimebucker was based on Dimebag's favorite Lawrence pickups, apparently, and tweaked a bit to suit his current needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seymour Duncans

Comment

uh, i dont think so. afaik the dimebag pu is very mid scooped, whereas the x2n is quite balanced.

Comment

the X2N is AWESOME, if its too hot or has too much high end lower it a tad, its pretty sensitive to hieght. & its sounds killer in maple body guitars.

Comment

Another pickup that is SUPER hot is the Gibson 500T
                    Put a 498 in the neck and a 500 in the bridge and your signal will be so hot your guitar might catch fire.

Comment

Working...
                    X