Black metal sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black metal sound

I've been tweaking my rocktron chameleon for a nice clear type of distortion, but all i seem to be getting out of the fucker is a heavy thump. Im looking for a girthy type of crunch where the notes sound clear, not a sound killed by gain. i've pretty much tried everything with it [chameleon] but to no avail. Will the ENGL e530 give me what im looking for? i dont need massive amounts of gain. Currently im using a Jackson Rhoads pro with a dimarzio breed in the bridge, engl 930/60 poweramp thru a behringer 4x12, perhaps a pickup change to emgs will help? i dunno, what do you guys think?
    Cheers

Re: Black metal sound

The Duncan Full Shred would work for black metal too. I used a Soloist Pro with a Full Shred on my band's demo, and a lot of people send it had a black metal tone to it, even though I wasn't really trying for that.
    sigpic

Comment

I use a Uberschall with the Bass , treble and gain all the way up ....the mids are scooped a tad ...

Geetars ,my main one is a San Dimas Koa with custom Dimarzios and a floyd .....my secondary guitar is a RR 1 lightning sky with the stock Duncan pups ...

I also have a Marshal 9200 w 5881s / JMP-1 and JFX-1 .....a total different amp sound all together ....but I get both of them to what I need them to do ...palm muting and speed picking like gonzo ....

I think it's more in your hands if you have decent equip ...I'm sure I'd would sound exactly the same if I were to play a 5150 / Recto / old Marshal with a stomp...
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm not a big Marshall fan but a lot of the local black metal bands up here use Marshall Equipment. Just go to the store and try out some amplifiers, you're bound to find something that gets the tone you want for a reasonable price (used gear!)

Comment

Well,the ENGL 530 will assuredly sound better than the chameleon. Whether it is the sound you want for what you are doing is debatable.

I'm thinking it should pass, and be quite tasty.

Comment

thanks guys. I kinda regret selling my jmp1 cause it is a better preamp, i realise that now, but you have to play a bit louder, which would be ok now. ill post a clip in the next few days, funny thing is it sounds alright when recorded at lower volumes, but when turned up, it sounds like a wall of 'blunt' [for lack of a better word] noise, no real definition, and i've tried turning down the gain, its still nowhere near what i want, might take a close look at the engl. Ohh yeah, the problem with the whole 'try out as many amps as you can' thing is that im in australia, and there aint too much to go on here, the selection is pretty crap; everything seems to have to be ordered in, these days. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] over all i think tubed pre's would suit what im doing better, i guess i dont need that top end sizzle, i need that 'girth', like a marshall juiced up just a tad. btw, someone posted a clip on here of a modified 800, i thought it had the best sounding distortion i have heard so far. Will the engl 530 give me that marshallesque sound, will it come anywhere near? [jmp1 is out of my price range, plus i'd like to try something new]
            cheers

Comment

For an amp, maybe an older Marshall Valvestate. As for pickups, I'd say either a DiMarzio X2N or EMG 81.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just get something uglysounding and you are ready to play black metal...

Comment

Just went to see Dimmu Borgir last night. Engl all the way from heads to cabs!

Comment

Oh ...you must offer your soul to Satan..

hey but it's worth it...

hell , he gave me the Uber ... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

....he said ..."ahhhhh here ya go Billzee just try dis ting"....and poof it was there... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

bill.
                      thanks guys, ill try the x2n, might as well go the dimarzio path,ill post clips after the changeover, if im still not happy with the tightness of the sound at loud volumes, bring on the e530.
                      cheers

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Just went to see Dimmu Borgir last night. Engl all the way from heads to cabs!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where'd they play last night (July 30) ? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                        X