Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables

So I'm thinking about buying some new cables-not because mine are worn out, but because I want some that don't twist up and make a mess so easy. Right now I'm using braided Spectraflex cables (the same ones I've been using for years)-what do you guys use, and what kind of luck do you have with them staying flexable and not getting in a huge wad?

Re: Cables

Monster cables and just deal with the mess [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have always liked the Fender vintage voltage cables for that reason. But I think I might be stepping up to Mogami soon even if it is a bit messier.

Comment

The Spectra flex are a great cable really. Seems most cables will wad up in a mess if left to its own, haha.

I actually use GeorgeL 1.55s on my long cords as well as my rack cords. I wondered about the longetivity, but after a couple years, they are still doing well, if the ends get shorted, I recut and reinsert them, simple, takes 30 seconds.

I don't know that many other quality cables will do much better than what you have. Sound wise, the only thing that would be better wwould be the Monster SP1000 which is laughingly expensive. Like $110 for 15 foot or something. And most people wouldn't hear the diff in their amp. I barely hear it in the CAE/VHT, but I do hear it. Not sure I hear 75 bucks of difference though, haha...

Maybe a nice wirelesss? haha...

Comment

I use Monster 500 Performer instrument and also speaker cables exclusively. I defy anyone to listen to my rig in person before with typical cables and then the Monsters and say they cannot hear the difference. Hell even non-musicians can tell the difference. Much sharper edge and better clarity from the Monsters. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

George L's are the best for the money in my opinion... Guitar Player mag did a review of about 30 or so high end cables, the GL's spanked everything else, including the monster cables that were reviewed.

Pete

Comment

I love George L's

Comment

You won't do much better than Monster or George L, but for everyday use, I like either Spectraflex or Dimarzio cables. What I have noticed is that Spectraflex cables go hard after a while, say 6-7 years, and get pretty inflexible. Dimarzio cables stay pretty limp and don't twist up.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

FYI, My 'main' cord is an 11 year old braided spectraflex, it's been damn near invulnerable for me. However, I love George L's when I need a certain length, and there is nothing better for wiring a rack or pedalboard.

Pete

Comment

George L's are my choice for my rack [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                    Moster cables for my guitar.

Comment

Do the george L 's have the warranty that monster does?
                      Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

The GeorgeLs we are referring to are the style you custom make yourself. I've yet to actually have a "cable" fail that wasn't damaged by something, then i just made a smaller cable out of it! The connection at teh plug is what will short, which is easily fixed by unscrewing the connector setscrew, cutting and inch off the the cable, and re-tightening the setscrew. Takes about 30 seconds.

The GeorgeLs are tremendously cheaper than the Monster SP1000s and even less than the 500s. I was thinking that the SP1000 had a bit more resistance to noise and a bit better sound quality, but not enough for me to make the jump. To me, the 500 were not really any difference than any other high quality cable, like Spectraflex, Mogami, Belden etc.

Basically, I could never tell so much difference in the cords till I bough my CAE3+se and the VHT2150. Before that, I never noticed the subtle tonal difference with the Marshalls/MESAs and 5150s I'd used... The Monster SP1000 and the GeorgeLs are the winners.

I can't even use a wireless with this rig as tone loss is so noticeable. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I hate Monster Cables! Every single cable I sell at work carries a lifetime warranty-that means, if it breaks, you return it and we give you a new one. Well, the only cables that EVER come back broken are Monster Cables-we carry Planet Waves, Mogami, Live Wires, Rapco, and Fender as well as Monster-and I've never seen any of the rest of them come back broken. We average about 2-3 returned Monster Cables a week-last week there was one returned every day for 4 days straight!

Comment

I've had my rack wired with George L's for about 3 years now and no problems whatso ever...and I can notice the sound difference...I've heard more highs that were lost with other cables...plus they're so damn easy to work with.

- Joel
                            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                            RIP Dime

Comment

Dude I know what your feelin' I have Spectraflex ....good cable quality but It braids it's self into knots within' minutes ....and then you feel like your wrestling a Boa constricter ...

Reminds me of those coiled telephone chords ...

John swear by Gl's I heard that Monster is an anal rape....but the new planet waves circiut ones are suposse to be really good...Box didn;t you tell me that ....then I called my Cuz because he's a Planet Waves dealer and had nothing but praise from customers .....he's also a Peavey dealer too ...he's biz is doing really good ....thinking of a partnership ... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X