Carvin Quad X Thoughts and Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Quad X Thoughts and Questions

I finally got my 4x12 back from the other guitar player in my band and I spent about 2 hours today jamming on my Quad X (through a Peavey 50/50 Classic) and I was having a blast with this thing. I didn't get to crank it too much (the joys of living in an apartment) but I really was having fun with the clean channels and the crunch channel. Very clean and full sounding on all three channels. For the price you can grab these for used they're a steal. Lots of features and very fun to fiddle around with.

But then I switched to the sustain (the high gain metal channel basically) and I was having trouble dialing anything that I felt was really heavy. I'm a fan of the 5150 / Dual Rectifier sounding distortion and I was trying to dial a heavy yet tight sounding distortion out of the amp using everything it had and it just wasn't working. I'll have to save the rig for a day where I can crank it loud and tweak my tones out (I'm sure that it'd sound better louder).

Okay to the questions..

Does anyone still use this preamp? I know that a lot of JCFers had them back a while ago but there was a mass unloading of the Quad X.
    Did anyone use this preamp in a live situation? How'd it sound?
    Anyone have any recordings or tone settings they want to share?
    Does anyone have any idea how to dial a 5150 styled distortion out of this unit without it getting too muddy sounding?
    Anyone have anything to say about the Quad-X?

Re: Carvin Quad X Thoughts and Questions

I thought it was a great little unit.I might have some old recordings. I'll look. i used mine live from 94 till 98 it worked great for me.it was the first unit to be released to the public.i pre ordered it in like Early 92ish and it took FOREVER to get and out of all the people to pre order i was bumped to the head of the line cause everyone ahaed of me got tired of waiting. i might still have my settings wrote down somewhere i'll have to look for them to. i had an orig. tube screamer a 31 band eq, and an ART SGX 2000express all wired in at various points in the different channels send and return. i think i went into the art's analog section,for some extra comp. and noise gate, and expander type stuff, then out of that into the input of the Quad-X, then out the master effect send to the digital effects in on the ART then back to the master eff. return of the Quad-X. in the channel 4 send and return, i put the tube screamer, and just left it on for the most part, but sometimes i would turn it on and off for the saturation and boost effect. then out the master to the eq's.
    i used the eq on the unit too, and the cab.voicing button...that was a must.sorry the pics don't do much justice seeing the settings ,but I'll see if i can find the page that i kept for the unit.

"It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've been playing every day with the unit and starting to like it more and more. I run the Quad X through a Peavey Classic 50/50 and it gets some pretty sweet tones. I will try to see if I can borrow a tube screamer from one of my friends to try that out in the effects loop to see if that improves the distortion the way I want it to.

The distorted tones are wonderful out of this unit but I'm looking for that little extra "umph" that will push the unit to the brink. I've been using 5150's and Triple XXX's for a while and I really like that thick / heavy distortion. Its an absolute must for the band I'm currently in (we play "melodic death metal" like In Flames and Children of Bodom).

Comment

Put a YJM308 in front of the 3rd channel and you will nail the 5150 tone. You will need to scoop the mids to get the Mesa tone. I loved mine but it is voiced quite differently from a Mesa Rectifier so trying to get a Mesa tone out of it will be tough.

Comment

I have had one for a while and recently started using it again. It's my preferred practice rig. Been a long time since using it live but, I remember it cutting thru just fine. There are some clips on my site (Mambo # i iv v, Haw Wah Blues, & The Fury) that were recorded with a Quad X. They're not really metal clips though so I don't know if they'll help you. As far as settings go: I personally never used the 5 band eq with channel 4--I only used it with channel 3 to get a more useable crunch tone out of it.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Thanks for the further responses.

A friend of mine has the YJM308 so I'll borrow that from him and mess around with it tonight.

Comment

is yours the old style with all the 1/4 in. jacks or the newer one with the midi imp.?
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Mine has midi capability. Is there a difference between the two other than the midi plugs?

Comment

Working...
                X