• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: more money, more tone?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gibson SG into a mini Marshall stack, Valvestate

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what was I thinking after 25 years of playing?? I better my CAE and VHT stuff and get beck my Valvestate 8100!!

Who'd have thunk it? [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

JMO, but the 8100 is a GREAT amp!

Comment

Chuck S. sure got great tones from a Marshall VS.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I heard a guy playing in a guitar shop the other day, he was playing stuff like Unchained, Stranglehold, etc...it sounded great..I mean GREAT. Came around the corner to see what he was playing with....Gibson SG into a mini Marshall stack, Valvestate. I couldn't sound as clean and just spot on as he did with my , DSL, Rectoverb, 5150 II , Ecstasy, or Ultra Lead....so more money better tone?......Nope!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just think how that guy would sound through a bogner with an eclipse.

Comment

I won't deny that but the point is that your fingers are just as much a part of your sound. Now one thing I will definately say is that speaking for myself...my ears want to hear what my ears want to hear so yes an amp is a huge factor. I know when I have the dynamics,harmonics, etc. that I want to hear....I definately play better. I think most people do.

Comment

Sure more money = more tone, but Eddie will sound like Eddie on whatever setup he has. That's why from Fender/Charvel to Kramer to Ernie Ball to Peavey to Charvel and from Marshall to Soldano to Peavey to ? always sounded like Eddie.

Comment

And when you hear Eddie playing through Crate, it will sound "just" like Eddie... Ummm, playing through a crap amp... Hehehe...

A master mechanic neeeds good tools, a chump mechanic, doesn't know quite how to use them. Same with guitar.

Comment

IMHO, I don't think I'd want a CAE at all. The VHT stuff isn't bad, but for the sounds I WANT, my Mesa can do it. The VHT Pitbull I played through, could do ANYTHING my Mesa could do, and had a bit more balls to the low end, but for me, it just wasn't what I wanted.

For the few tones my Mesa cannot get, I've got the JCM800 to do the rest.

More $$$ Does NOT always mean better tone. Now if you're saying a Marshall MG versus a VHT CAE coupled together, it's no contest. Once you're into amps that have good tones to them, it's just a matter of picking the ones that suit YOUR tastes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  IMHO, I don't think I'd want a CAE at all. The VHT stuff isn't bad, but for the sounds I WANT, my Mesa can do it. The VHT Pitbull I played through, could do ANYTHING my Mesa could do, and had a bit more balls to the low end, but for me, it just wasn't what I wanted.

For the few tones my Mesa cannot get, I've got the JCM800 to do the rest.

More $$$ Does NOT always mean better tone. Now if you're saying a Marshall MG versus a VHT CAE coupled together, it's no contest. Once you're into amps that have good tones to them, it's just a matter of picking the ones that suit YOUR tastes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't agree. I played a lot of different amps in my time, including some mesa's, well put the CAE 3+/2150, a Marshall Plexi or Bogner next to a mesa, and the mesa will suck. Not just suck a bit, but suck more than anything that has ever sucked before on a sucky day.
                  Mesa Boogie is the most overhyped amp on the planet in my book, just because they have a whole bunch of famous endorsees does not mean it's a good amp.
                  Another piece of junk is that triaxis. I never heard one that sounds good. You can even put an ADA mp-1 next to a triaxis and it will blow the triaxis away.
                  There's not a single mesa boogie amp that holds it's definition when fully cranked.
                  And then there are people telling me a dual rectifier is brutal? brutal? A rectumfier is about as brutal as a clown on valium, I guess they never heard a 3+ cranked over a VHT 2150, now that's what I call brutal.

Sorry for the rant guys [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

You go El Bastardo!

I've never got a good sound that "I" liked out of a MESA. They fart out on quick attack low end stuff and and have, a VERY non pleasing to me low end definition. If you are playing NuMetal-ish stuff that is one note-ish, or more chords, slow, and detuned, I'd think they work well for that. Yeah, we call them "RectumFryers" here. They are well made though, and seem to suit others, I just can't get what I want out of them.

For what I do, I need quick attack, with high definition, yet brutal. A hard thing to get, till recently it seems.

I can own pretty much whatever I want. I'll find a way if I want it. And, I own the CAE3+se and a VHT2150. So far, so good.

Although, I must admit that ENGL is seriously taunting me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I think more money, more choices for sure but it all depends.

Finding a right amp is not an easy thing to do.
                      I wish I had money to have 10 different amps and cabs.

Comment

Working...
                      X