Was in the studio today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was in the studio today...

So my band headed into the recording studio today to record a new track for a compilation (and hopefully some local/Internet radio play), and I had the opportunity to play through a Rivera head and Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cab. This might seem "wrong" to use my ART Xtreme's distortion and utilize only the Rivera's clean channel, but the results were nothing short of amazing. I sure wish I had room for an isolation booth in my apartment to crank up my tube amps, because I could really get used to that kind of tone. I also used my ART Tube EQ (my "Matt Crooks signature" model), and did two guitar tracks to fatten up the tone: one with a Jackson USA DR2 and the other with a Hamer USA Californian Elite. My brother used a Charvel 550XL through a DOD FX7, also through the Rivera/G-Flex. Oddly enough, that DOD preamp pedal sounds amazing...and using it with a nice recording rig sure didn't hurt.
    sigpic

Re: Was in the studio today...

[ QUOTE ]
    ...and using it with a nice recording rig sure didn't hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how nice are we talking here... just out of curiosity ( I'm an audio engineer).

Nick

Comment

I honestly didn't get a good look at everything, but it was one of the bigger Mackie boards...24 channels, maybe even 32. I don't recognize it on the Mackie site, so it must be an earlier model than what they have out now. It was hooked up to a Mac G4, with another flat panel display running off the board. No idea what the studio monitors were, or the mics. Mapex drum kit with a green-to-natural finish, DW pedals, and a bunch of rackmount stuff I didn't recognize. Of course there was also the Rivera head and Genz Benz cab. Basically, most of it was over my head.
      sigpic

Comment

Ooh, Mackie. It's probably pretty damn nice. I'll bet they do custom boards, which may be the reason that you didn't see it on their site. Mackie is some serious ****, especially $$$-wise.

Comment

Mackie does not do custom consoles, and they never have.

In the semi-pro and home studio environment, a Mackie is very passable. As you say, it's particularly good for the money. However, Mackie shouldn't ever be considered serious ****. I say this having owned all of Mackie's top of the line studio gear (HDR, d8b, HR-824). I will also say that I'll never buy another piece of their "pro" audio gear and can't wait until next year when I replace the remainder of my Mackie gear with something real.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I agree, Mackie is not professional gear, good for home use but thats about it. We call it "Pro_sumer" a RCH above consumer grade stuff
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              a RCH above

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the R stand for?
              ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

The "R" in "RCH" is for " <font color="red"> red </font> ". Thus, " <font color="red"> Red C#nt Hair </font> ".
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                X