need new recording setup .. ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need new recording setup .. ideas?

well im sick and tired of my bootleg version of guitar tracks pro screwing me over.. so im on the market for something new. i need to be able to write my own drum tracks.. not that i can play drums but a sequencer or something .. anyway if you have any recomendations on software or hardware i would sure appriciate it. i have a Tascam US-122 but it says that it might **** up if i try and install it onto windows XP.. but that doesnt bother me that much cause the stupid thing never did work right to begin with...it allways had a delay before it recorded so none of the tracks ligned up right(major pain in the ass) so im looking into a new setup that is easy to record guitar and write drum parts with. i also have a V amp and im pretty satisfied with what i can get for guitar sounds out of it... any suggestions are welcome Thanks

Re: need new recording setup .. ideas?

well..ive been looking around...and sonar home studio looks good...does that sound about right?

Comment

I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0, a Boss GT-6 and a Boss DR550 MKII and I get awesome results. Stand alone drum machines are too cheap to not use one nowadays IMHO. My sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and I also have a EMU PK-6 hooked up through a MOTU Fastlane midi interface.
      A buddy of mine uses Cakewalk and gets very good results too. I also have Fruity Loops on my laptop which allows you to right your own drum tracks.

Comment

Personally, I can't use software to record anything, I'm all hardware, and if it were in my power I would totally chuck the computer out of the studio. All of the programs that I've used have a delay such as what you mentioned. If not a delay, the processor isn't fast enough and it dicks up the song, and many other problems that happen on the Godforsaken machines. I'll try to give you some ideas though:

Computer pro's: Cheap for good sound. Many different tools accessible at the click of a dropdown menu. Copy/paste is easier and more efficient. Less room taken up; all components on one rig versus many different components.

Computer Cons:TWEAKS! If your processor isn't fast enough, the sound will turn out horribly. If you don't back up your files you are screwed. Compatability issues-just because one program can read the information doesn't mean the other one can. Soundcard choice is confusing and sometimes costly; without a proper soundcard it will sound flat. Pickup buzz is terrible with the screen around (considering you are using a home studio).

Hardware pros:Reliable. Compatible-nearly all use the same storage devices. Accessible and mapped out for you, no menus to scroll through-you don't have to go through a million processes to drop one fader on the eq. Patches are easily traced in case of a problem. On the computer, one little toggle may be off on a certain menu, and it is a pain in the ass to find it sometimes. With hardware, it's all right in front of you. No delay! You press record, and the fucker records, no extra bullshit.

Hardware cons: Roomy. Sometimes expensive.
        --------------------------------------
        That said...
        I only use the computer for drum tracks. A drumset in my bedroom was a pain in the ass, and you don't want to go through the trouble of micing it when you need a quick fix. I usually just run a wire from the output of the computer to the recorder through some adapters. It doesn't sound awesome, but you know what's supposed to be there. Later on, you can take it to the drummer where everything is already miced up and he can **** with it.

If you're looking for something professional, I'd try a digital recorder by Fostex. I've never worked with a digital one before, so I can't offer a great deal of advice. To my knowledge, they sound a little cleaner than tape decks. If you're looking for a home studio setup, I'd stick with a tape deck. Most sound pretty good, just be sure to keep the heads clean.

HTH

Comment

Working...
        X