Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaviest sounding small amp? (not a modeler!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaviest sounding small amp? (not a modeler!)

I'm curious, what do you think the heaviest sounding small amplifier is? I'm looking for something that's going to be able to fit in my bedroom. Preferably a tube amplifer. So far, my favorite amplifier is a Triple Rectifier (dual's cool too). God, I just love the sound those things kick out. What do you think would put me close to that without having to go modeling amp?

What I want to sound like, sort of:
    Rhythm lines: Better to Reign in hell off of Damnation and a Day (Cradle of Filth)
    Lead lines: Disciple solo

Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanx!

Re: Heaviest sounding small amp? (not a modeler!)

I've got a Mesa F-30 1x12 combo and think it's pretty heavy sounding, very close to Recto distortion but with a little different voicing and EL84 power tubes. It's great at low volumes (as well as very high volumes to be heard above a heavy drummer), has separate reverbs for each channel, the clean channel is awesome and even has a pull pot on the gain control for more treble, channel 2 has a contour boost for more gain.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Check out a Peavey Ultra 112 or the new xxx stuff. Great amps for the money. In Metallica's Cunning stunts DVD there is a shot of Kurt warming up before a show on a Ultra 112.

Comment

It's a tough question.
        Heavy sound not only comes from amp, it also has to do with the cabinet/speakers that you use with it.
        Smaller amps usually sound less bottom.
        But by adding EQ pedal or booster,any small combo can have better bottom sound.
        Also if the combo has open back cabinet, close it with a peice of wood or face the back against the wall, that wil also help to get it tighter.

Comment

I totally agree with the Peavey Ultra 1x12 60 watter. I have one and they flat out Rock Hard!! They will do just about everything, except maybe Death metal, but it may through a 4x12 Cab. lots of features for a 1x12, resonance switch, 3 channels and a Master Volume and sweet Reverb, i actually like it better thna the Triple XXX, I have tried them both of the same size and power. Best buy in my opinion, Kirk Hammett knows a good amp for practice, but for a small Gig, it will do great. I highly reccomend them and Peavey shouldn`t have discontinued them.Also, I changed the Blue Marvel speaker out for a Celestion G12T-75 speaker and it made it even better!! Jack.

Comment

Holy ****, I think I actually saw an ultra in the pawn shop! **** me! Guess where I'm going with my next paycheck.

Thanx dudes, will try them out!

ONE MORE QUESTION!

Mesa F-30 Vs. Peavey Ultra?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              In Metallica's Cunning stunts DVD there is a shot of Kurt warming up

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?? [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                In Metallica's Cunning stunts DVD there is a shot of Kurt warming up

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?? [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cobain don't you know [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The F-30 is better but the Ultra is probably more of what you are looking for. I had one in my shop for 2 weeks and I was totally digging it. It does metal REALLY good and is crazy loud too.

Comment

I have a Mesa F30 and it rocks. You can get very heavy tone out of it for a smaller amp. Highly recommend it to anyone as its so versatile. Try one out!!

Tone
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

just use a marshall cant go wrong

Comment

Peaveys rock, and are dirt cheap compared to other amps or equal quality. Also, they are built like tanks, and for some reason seem capable of much louder volumes than comparable amps. Can't really go wrong with a PEavey.

Comment

hmm, engl does make some nice small combo's. the fireball is nice and the screamer as well. worth checking out

harrald

Comment

Wooops, my bad, I think I was trying to sneak a quick post at work and wasn't quite paying attention to what I was typing. That would be Kirk [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              just use a marshall cant go wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]Yeah you can.

http://rocksolidamps.com/MP3/Jonny%20Boy%20Screamer.mp3

Engl screamer, don't know what the settings were but I bet it gets alot heavier. Get this, it's a 4 channel 50 watt 1x? combo!

http://rocksolidamps.com/index.htm?P...1676c147fd3e48

Sorry my friend, if you think Marshall is the be all end all to amps, you're sadly mistaken.
                              Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

Working...
                              X