Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaviest sounding small amp? (not a modeler!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heaviest sounding small amp? (not a modeler!)

He didn't say Marshall is the be all end all. Fact is Marshalls can be found in all kinds of music. They can obviously cut it, but they may not be for you. They are not my favorites either. To each his own. I personally don't like the tone in that Engl clip, but that is just me. It seems brittle and fizzy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      just use a marshall cant go wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!

It's the heavy duty, road-ready plastic cab that makes it sound so heavy. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        just use a marshall cant go wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!

It's the heavy duty, road-ready plastic cab that makes it sound so heavy. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
        I've got one of those. I dropped it and the stupid nut and some plastic came off the input jack! [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] It still sounds pretty good, though I haven't played it in a long time.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

as you can see, the nut is missing off mine as well. The only way to get a noise out of it now is to plug the cord in & wrap it back under the belt hook. But I think that just gives me a "rawer" sound.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

I'd say go with a Mesa/Boogie combo. I bought a DC-5 widebody 1x12 off eBay and this thing rocks. It is a 50 watt dual channel with 6 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power amp tubes. The distortion ch is pretty close to a recto. The clean channel when in the pulled mode is like a JCM800 (especially when used with a overdrive pedal) 50 watts is plenty loud and you can use a 4x12 with it if you like or add additional 1x12 or 2x12 extension cabs. I'm really diggin this amp so far.

shawnlutz.com

Comment

The DC 5 is an AWESOME amp, and I've been itching to get one. What did this one set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The DC 5 is an AWESOME amp, and I've been itching to get one. What did this one set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't mind at all. I paid $550 for mine. I was actually looking at DC-2 and 3's and they were going for around $450-550, I really wanted lower wattage amp. I saw the auction for the DC-5 witha 550 BIN ad it atually went several days without any bids. I got tired of looking so I bought it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I workn on getting an extension cab for it right now.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

How in the hell did you get a Mesa for $550!? That's awesome! Mesa is one of my favorite amplifier companies ever, if not my favorite. I'd gladly spend that much on a Mesa (if I had that much!)

Battle of the amps! I'll put the Ultra and the Mesa side by side, and see wich one I want. This means another trip to Salt Lake City! I was shocked, Boise just didn't have much in the way of gear, and I'm sure as hell not traveling for 12 hours (roundtrip) just to visit one shop for one brand. I'll find a place in Salt Lake that has The Ultra and a couple Mesa's, and put the winning amp on layaway. Salt Lake is only four hours away, vs. Boise's six. My sense of direction in cities blows donkey nuts, so I'm hoping I'll be able to find the place!

Living in a cave (cave=potato farm) sucks.

As for the Marshalls, no. I sure as hell would not mind a JCM 800 or 900, or even a DSL2000, but wouldn't that defeat the purpouse of "SMALL heavy sounding amp"? And I'm sure as hell not buying an MG. Those things are, IMO, the St. Anger of the Marshall world. You just kinda try to forget that it was ever released.

Comment

Working...
                  X