Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pod XT vs. ToneLab SE (or GNX3, GT6, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod XT vs. ToneLab SE (or GNX3, GT6, etc.)

Please help me decide which amp/effects processor to buy to get a few great sounds, listed below in order of importance:

1. Van Halen – VH I and Mean Street sounds
    2. Clean sound – ‘80’s ballad-y acoustic or JC-120 sound
    3. Zakk Wylde – heavier “metal” sound than VH, still toneful, easy harmonics
    4. SRV on steroids – distorted, cutting, can be rolled off into semi-clean sounds

Effect-wise, I want one-click access for Flanger, Chorus, Echo, and volume boost, and one-click switching between a clean and a dirty sound (1 and 2 above).

I’ve basically got it down to the Vox Valvetronix Tonelab SE or the Line 6 Pod XT w/the FBV Shortboard. Either setup would cost about $600. Both appear to have the necessary footswitches to turn effects on/off as listed above (though I think the Pod would have to accomplish the clean/dirty switch through changing presets, and I’m afraid it will exhibit a delay in doing so; the Tonelab has an A/B switch within one preset, so it shouldn’t have that problem).

For amplification, I can run it through my Marshall Valvestate rack-mount power amp and a Marshall 1960A 4x12, or I can run it straight into the PA.

Guitar-wise, I have neck-through Jacksons with EMG 85s, one with a Seymour Duncan JB, a Kramer parts mutt 5150 replica with a direct-mounted SD Custom Custom and a Highway 1 Strat with stock Fender single coil pickups (might replace ‘em with DiMarzio Virtual Vintages if the stockers turn out to be too clean for me).

Good points about the Pod XT: I’ve read on the Web that it has a fantastic early VH (Plexi Variac) sound, and the optional HD147 sound set should cover any metal sounds I want. I also appreciate Line 6’s apparent desire to continue improving it. Plus, I expect it would be great through headphones for late-night practice, and I could record it directly to my computer using USB (well, I hope so – I use Macs). I also like the fact that you can download settings, since I usually can’t come up with great ones on my own (I previously had a Zoom 505-II and a Digitech GNX1, and got fantastic sounds for both off the web that I could never have come up with on my own).

Good points about the Tonelab: I think it has a very authentically non-digital sound, with an actual tube in the power amp stage, and it looks simpler to use. I tried out a Valvetronix amp (same electronics) in a Guitar Center a couple of years ago, and it sounded great – it was very warm and organic-sounding, and seemed excellent for classic rock/hard rock, though I didn’t know if it could pull off metal (no edge to it).

I’ve also read positive comments about the Digitech GNX3 (or 4) and the Boss GT-6, and I’m still open to those, as well. I have a Behringer V-Amp Pro now, which is nice, but does not interface easily with my Macs, and I don’t want to mess with buying and trying to set up the FCB-1010 foot controller for it, using MIDI.

I’d like to have a amp/effects set-up that sounds great and can be carried in a bag over one arm, with my guitar case in the other hand, so I can walk in, plug in and play, then take it all back home with me and play quietly at night without waking anyone. (That’s why I’m not looking at real tube amps). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know the best answer is to try these out for myself, but our local music stores stock none of these units. I’ve read Harmony Central extensively, and even downloaded and browsed through some owner’s manuals. Now I am seeking the collective wisdom of the JCF. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Pod XT vs. ToneLab SE (or GNX3, GT6, etc.)

http://autumn-frost.com/jcf/NAMM04/V...Demarco-sm.wmv

This guy at NAMM was playing through a Tonelab SE, and it sounded Metal enough to me. Plus it's got the pedal and effects all in one - with the XT/footboard you've got two items to lug around.

I'm a Gear Wh0re as it is with an ADA MP-1, 2 GSP21s (Pro and Legend), POD 2, and TSR-12, but I'm thinking of picking up a Tonelab SE as well [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've been wanting to pick up a Tonelab SE as well, but I don't know if I can justify $600 for one at the moment. I do have a MF card, so maybe I should try it out for 45 days and then return it. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a PODxt. I sold it after I got a Vox Tonelab. After about a week I returned the Tonelab. I picked up another PODxt used. The PODxt is soooo much simpler to *actually* dial in a good tone. There is a bit more UI to contend with perhaps but the Tonelab was very difficult to dial in a good tone. It was sort of intriguing at first. I thought it was less digital than the PODxt but I believe that was my eyes seeing a tube and believing it sounded better.

Don't get me wrong, the Tonelab sounds really good for a few things. Metal tones are fair. Mild crunch and semi-clean tones are great.

The effects are WAY better on the PODxt. And there are LOTS of them too. Also, Line 6 just released the V2 updated to the PODxt and it sounds even better and they added the ability to download "model packs". So for another $99 you can get *all* of the amp and effects models in the Vetta II.

http://www.line6.com/modelPacks/
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks for the very interesting comments.

I would agree with the Vox producing great mild crunch and semi-clean tones. The GC salesman set up the Valvetronix amp so that I got the most authentic SRV tone I've ever had, but after he took off and I messed around with the controls, I could never get it back to that. I've never heard a Pod XT, so I don't know what to expect with it, except that I've read the VH sound is amazing, and if that's really true, I would keep it on that basis alone. I also love the "Bomber Uber" demo track that Line 6 has for its HD147, and I know I can buy the HD147 sounds for the Pod XT, so at this point, I guess that's where I'm leaning.

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I had an XT and they're absolutely great units. I got it as a trial before shelling out for a Vetta but would probably have kept it if the just-released tone packs had been available when I had it. IMHO the only thing it lacked was a few more high gain models and they took care of that in spades.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I had a PODxt awhile back and I'm going to be getting another soon, now that the 2.0 firmware and model packs are out there. It's not perfect, but I was able to get some pretty cool distorted lead sounds out of it--imagine a combo of Zappa, Vai, Iommi, and Holdsworth, and that's my ideal lead sound. I had more problem getting a good metal 'chunk' rhythm sound. But a lot of that was the lack of parametric EQ and the limited number of hi-gain models, which has been solved in the 2.0/model pack upgrades. I'll probably still use my Furman para EQ as a pre-gain EQ between the guitar and POD, since there is only one para EQ in the POD.

I had no problem getting all kinds of cool clean sounds out of the xt. Anything from jangly Beatles to meaty SRV, it's in there.

Comment

Another vote for the PODXT. Its a great little unit with loads of crap in it. I can't honestly believe the tube in the Tonelab contributes to the tone - they run the preamp tubes in pedals at such a low voltage, there's just enough signal to light it up.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

The other thing that helps the PODxt (actually all of these modelers)is to run a VHT Valvulator in front of it. It's really subtle for sure but there is something about it that seems to take the digital harshness down a notch.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Re: Pod XT Floorboard coming in Sept?

Anyone hear about a Pod XT Floorboard model coming out in September?

I was reading Harmony Central posts about the Pod XT and ran across this rumor, which does seem like a logical step for Line 6 and might also explain their recent price drop on the Pod XT.

The HC post (which is HERE) provided a link to some UK site, which unfortunately no longer has info about this, and also said this is being discussed on the Line 6 forums (fora?), but I couldn't find anything there either.

I'm going to feel like an idiot if I buy a Pod XT and an FBV Shortboard right before Line 6 releases a Pod XT floor unit, so if anyone knows anything about this would you please advise, so I know to wait?

Thanks!

Comment

Re: New Line 6 stompboxes coming

OK. I found one thread in the Line 6 user forum that mentions new stompboxes coming out. Not exactly what I was looking for, but interesting, nonetheless. HERE IT IS.

Comment

Re: Pod XT Floorboard coming in Sept?

[ QUOTE ]
                        Anyone hear about a Pod XT Floorboard model coming out in September?

I was reading Harmony Central posts about the Pod XT and ran across this rumor, which does seem like a logical step for Line 6 and might also explain their recent price drop on the Pod XT.

The HC post (which is HERE) provided a link to some UK site, which unfortunately no longer has info about this, and also said this is being discussed on the Line 6 forums (fora?), but I couldn't find anything there either.

I'm going to feel like an idiot if I buy a Pod XT and an FBV Shortboard right before Line 6 releases a Pod XT floor unit, so if anyone knows anything about this would you please advise, so I know to wait?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this rumor too but Line 6 is being pretty tight lipped about it.

Comment

Working...
                        X