My review of the Peavey XXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review of the Peavey XXL

well, i bought a Peavey XXL head just to try something a little different (and for the fact i needed a head)
    first thing i noticed was how much treble the thing has......had to turn it down a little cuz it was pretty "hissy" sounding.......secondly it was "hissy" sounding, doesnt have the warmth and smoothness of tubes........on the up side, you can coax a wide range of sounds out of it.....it also enables harmonics VERY easily

the good news is though i run a EFX processor through the FX loop, i was able to dial out ALL of the excess highs and most of the hiss while by tweaking the EQ and adding some chorus

the reverb on it is kinda weak sounding........

well, thats all for now, i played it for about 2 hours tonight

i'll report back once i get in some more seat time with it

so far i am satisfied with it

btw i am running it thru a peavey sheffield 412 cab
    and i also have a peavy ultra tube 112 combo

it definelty aint no tube amp, but its pretty nice for the price

Re: My review of the Peavey XXL

How would you describe the tones you were able to get out of the XXL? Mostly metal tones? Describe the distortion a little?

Comment

well for each channel there are 3 different "amp" settings

on the ultra channel its
      ULTRA
      MODERN
      and i forget the name of the 3rd one
      the crunch channel is
      HIGH GAIN
      BRITISH
      CLASSIC
      and then the clean channel
      WARM
      and i honestly forget the name of other 2 on the clean channel, but you get the idea

on the ultra channel think MESA or 5150 (albeit close, but not exact)
      the crunch channel think marshall
      like a JCM1000 or even 800 series

alot of different tones out of it
      great for metal but i can coax many other sounds out of it also

Comment

Cool. Seems to have more features then the Triple XXX but with a lower price tag. I own a Triple XXX myself and I wasn't able to demo the two different amps side by side but went for the Triple XXX anyways. I might try one of these out at the local shop for kicks one of these days.

Comment

I have the XXL and I dig it! I mostly use the Ultra channel on the "Ultra" setting. I crank the treble and mids up to about 7 and back off on the bass, then I put a 7 band EQ in the FX loop and cut the 800. Sounds awesome! Sometimes I activate or deactivate that EQ in the loop, gives me two different and good sounds. I also use the Hi-gain setting on the Lead channel every now and again, and once again I switch between using and not using the EQ in the loop and it's awesome!
          The clean is nothing special really, but it is clean so I have no complaints there.
          Good amp!

By the way I use the XXL head with a Triple XXX 4x12 cab.

Comment

Do you also have another head you can a/b it to?

Comment

Working...
            X