Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Delay & room with bad acoustics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Delay & room with bad acoustics.

OKay, well I guess I should have made 2 separate posts, but what the hell.

I recently switched 2 rooms around in my house. I was using the small front bedroom as computer room/music room, and the back bedroom was my son's room. Well, since the front room is cooler, we decided to put my son in there, and move the computers and guitars to the back. Well, after the switch, both my amps sound like garbage, no matter what I do with the eq settings. It's ruining my desire to play, because after 10 minutes, I'm so frustrated, I want to smash things. Could it be the acoustic properties of the room that have changed? Both rooms are carpeted, but in the back room my cab is basically facing a blank wall, with a large window in it. Is it possible that the sound reflecting off the glass and the wall is the culprit? Anyone have any ideas?

Topic #2, delay pedals. How I made it playing guitar for 18 years without EVER trying out a delay pedal is beyond me. At rehearsal on Sunday, I had both my amps and cabs with me, so my other guitar player says I should try out his Boss delay pedal. Well, HOLY SHAT!!!! It sounds amazing! Does anyone else use delay and 2 amps on a regular basis?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Digital Delay & room with bad acoustics.

I do. I can't believe you lasted 18 years with no delay. I started in the old days with a real tape Echoplex and progressed up to analog delay and finally to digital. I use 2 delays now. One set at ping pong 340ms and the other straight at 420ms. Boss makes great delays.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I do. I can't believe you lasted 18 years with no delay. I started in the old days with a real tape Echoplex and progressed up to analog delay and finally to digital. I use 2 delays now. One set at ping pong 340ms and the other straight at 420ms. Boss makes great delays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been much of a gear whore, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]especially with regards to effects. I figure time spent twiddling knobs takes away from my playing time. It's really a shame that you need 2 amps to make proper use of it though. I can't see myself dragging 2 half stacks around with me all the time.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The Room:
        Cover the window with a heavy blanket for starters. Also point the amp at another (windowless) wall if possible.

The Delay:
        You only "need" two amps if you're doing stereo effects like hippie head swirls or ping-pong, but I use a Delay instead of Reverb most of the time. Set it for a very low-volume (3) medium delay (300Ms), and set the repeat at about 30% (varies from unit to unit and brand to brand - I use Digitech FX gear). Basically you're just going for a reverb-ish effect without the "sproing", and without the 'Grand Canyon' stuff.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The Delay:
          You only "need" two amps if you're doing stereo effects like hippie head swirls or ping-pong, but I use a Delay instead of Reverb most of the time. Set it for a very low-volume (3) medium delay (300Ms), and set the repeat at about 30% (varies from unit to unit and brand to brand - I use Digitech FX gear). Basically you're just going for a reverb-ish effect without the "sproing", and without the 'Grand Canyon' stuff.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh! Once again we are in violent agreement. I do the same thing. I use my Ibanez DM1000 delay pretty much as a reverb. Sounds great. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Headphones into stereo delay [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] keeps me busy for hours!
            but then I was always easily amused. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X