BBE 362 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BBE 362 review

While I thought it sounded great at first it took about two or three hours and my ears just grew tired of it. There was a, "fakeness", to the sound...hard to explain...dumped it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      This kind of "effect" goes better before the input, not in the loop.

I always put effects that modify the "type" (distortion, EQ, etc.) of the sound before the input and effects that modify the "time" (delay, reverb, etc.) in the loop.

[/ QUOTE ]
      True, gain-based effects work best in front of the amp, but from my observations, EQs/exciters/ehancers usually sound like ass in front and definitely work better in the loop. It's all personal preference, and your mileage may vary.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Glad you're diggin' it, John...

Comment

I've been using the 362nr for a few years now.I hardly ever use the denoiser except for certain recording applications.It seems to cut the highs and mids too much for my liking and if set to high will squash the end of you sustained notes and usable feedback.I pretty much run mine all the time with the low contour at a little over halfway and the process about 3/4.It has ganged controls so I use it in stereo into a Mesa 20/20 preamped with a ADA mp1.I really like the sound I've been getting.I was surprised to hear a lot of guys here not liking them.I try to turn it off every once in a while but It doesn't stay out of the loop long [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Here is a killer set up I tried last night:
            Marshall 8008 power amp
            BBE 362
            Boss GT-6
            Carvin 2 x 12 cabinet wired in stereo
            Compact and killer. Without the BBE is sounds good but not "big" enough. Kind of reminded me a a Flextone IIXL combo. With the BBE, this rig sounds huge.

Comment

Hey, I didn't know you had an 8008. I used to have one of those...

Sounds like a killer rig - where are the clips, dood?!

Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I've owned a BBE for years, and recently put it in the loop on my Vetta. Makes a good difference in my opinion... but you have to really watch how much you dial in. For live use, it will thin your tone out and make your amp lose punch if you have too much of it. A little goes a LONG way. They remind me of scooping the mids on a stereo... it sounds better at first, but you lose some of the complex mids and some of the warmth. Still a great effect, used in moderation. And some amps tend to sound better with it than others.

Also, you do NOT want to put one in the front of your amp - it goes in the effects loop. The only thing to put in front of an amp imho is a boost pedal or overdrive/distortion unit.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Hey, I didn't know you had an 8008. I used to have one of those...

Sounds like a killer rig - where are the clips, dood?!

Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

Keith, not only do I have the 8008 but I have the gold one! What a fantastic compact stereo poweramp. It isn't the loudest power amp you ever heard but it is very very clean and when set on the Valvestate mode along with the BBS you would swear my Boss GT6 was a tube amp or at least a Vetta 2. The 8008 and the BBE 362 are housed in a 2rms SKB road case. The rig does double duty currently. It serves as my band practice and recording rig at home and a monitor amp and lead vocal processor for gigs. This way I can avoid cooking tubes at home and at band practice. I am going to be bailing out of this current band most likely after the gig this Saturday so I will probably be selling the the BBS 362/Marshall 8008 and the SKB road case as a package deal.
                  I am going to spend the time off writing and recording at home. I have a complete studio all ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X