5150 Combo..I had no idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 Combo..I had no idea

I just picked up a 5150 Combo off of e-bay for a decent price. I had never played one or even heard one first hand. Now when I had to have my wife help me drag it in the house (100lb package) I was uh.. wondering why did I do this, no hiding this beast! Needless to say the women wasn't to happy with me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The amp is built like a tank and almost as heavy but what shocked me was how versitle that amp really is! It can flat out smoke on the lead channel but you can also get some great low gain tones. Also the High gain rythym channel with the crunch engage sounds awesome as well. I'm really digging the Sheffield speakers too. Anyone else got some props for the combo?

Re: 5150 Combo..I had no idea

It is a great combo that should come with a roadie or at least a membership to the gym. Maybe a back brace too. Sure, there are other 2 x 12 combo's that are just as heavy but that doesn't negate the fact that most of the 5150 combo's that are sold are because of how difficult they are to lug around. It is a great versatile combo though. Congratz.

Comment

I'm about to get rid of mine, I don't like it anymore, I put in some JJ tubes and it helped but to me it sounds fizzy, not enough low end either. Maybe I should have got the head or a 5150II. I'm selling it and buying a Fireball.

Glad you like it though.
      Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

The Fireball is pretty fizzy and harsh too so be careful. I happen to like a fizzy harsh tone.

Comment

JG you are right, my "boys" are screaming everytime I have to move it, Ha ha. Also your old Goldtop Wolfie sounds great through it!

Joblo you know the old saying: Another man's junk is another man's treasure. I could see how someone might think it's fizzy but I tend to like highs and mids and I always stay clear of JJ's. I guess that explains it. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The Fireball is pretty fizzy and harsh too so be careful. I happen to like a fizzy harsh tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe harsh and fizzy aren't the correct words for the sound that my 5150 makes. This is my first tube amp and I'm still new to them and learning what tubes do what and so forth. Maybe I still haven't completely tweaked it? Maybe my 5150 is a dud? Maybe I've just been playing SS **** too long? Maybe it's the speakers my ear doesn't care for or even the tubes for that matter? Maybe I just can't play it loud enough? I like my 5150 when I got peadals and a processor wired into it. I'm not trying to knock your amp dude or what you like in an amp. Maybe the Fireball will suck for me and I'll want to go to the 5150II? I'm still trying to find MY tone.
            Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

Working...
            X