more gain from a avt50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more gain from a avt50

im trying to get a little more gain out of a avt50 should i use a pedal or get hotter pickups i have a sd3 with lace pickups the harmonics arent really screamin out i tried using a sansamp gt2 but it alters the tone too much any advice would be great

Re: more gain from a avt50

I had one of those for awhile (head version). Had the GT2 also, so I know what you mean. There are some interesting AVT50H reviews on Harmony Central which you might wanna read. I don't know how much you're cranking it, but someone on HC said his sounded better cranked up. My guitars with EMGs can get more gain out of some of my gear that was a bit too clean with passive pickups (e.g., AVT50H, Pandora PX4).

I would also speculate (no experience on this one) that the MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive would do it for you, as it is claimed to be effective either as an all-out distortion or just to push your amp harder. Good luck!

Comment

Re: more gain from a avt50

I think the AVT stuff isn't too bad. Internally they're a nightmare. They put these fans that always seize up in them, they also have the components set up very badly in there. I think the amps sound good, but from the engineering standpoint, the man who developed it, was a fool. (not knocking Marshalls, I have a 1987 JCM800)

Comment

Working...
      X