VHT Ultra Lead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Ultra Lead

So...I picked up a VHT UL about a week and a half ago and I'm not really digging it. It's strange because every amp I've ever bought, I loved at first, (honeymoon phase), and it was only after playing with them for a while the subtletees turned me away from them, (Marshalls, Mesa's, etc.) Fortunately I have an Ecstasy that did sound **** for a while but then I replaced all the tubes and.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway I received the UL with EH 6L6's in it and did not like it even the first time I plugged in. I ordered and installed a quad of Sovtek KT88's per Steve Fryettes ,(SP?), suggestion and it really did open the amp up, it sounds alot better but still not to my liking. What I dislike is its got a stiff card-boardish square type sound to it if that makes any sense. I generally run my gains around 2:00-3:00 which I know is pretty high but I do that because my ears want to hear that warm compressed drive and running that, (to my ears), generally does not add gain but compresses it and warms it up. I then return to the EQ and try to clean up the signal, (mud, harshness, etc.). Reading what I like to hear and seeing how I set my amps up, it should be obvious why I absolutely love my XTC. What my XTC lacks is the really fast aggression which I also love which is why I'm looking for another amp for that. Now, what I don't like about the UL is not really so much the tone because I can acheive it but the fizzy Metallic distortion it's got, kind of a SS vibe to it. I could even dig it if it was just more musical even. What I DO like about it is its really fast attack with clarity. What do you UL owners or UL experienced guys suggest from here? I'm not to the point where I've decided it's not for me ,just in the trial stages. I'm using a Bogner 4x12 w/ V30's or G12H30's ,(I have them both), and a MESA 2x12 vertical Recto cab w/ Greenbacks. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: VHT Ultra Lead

I have heard this about the UL. Wehn I had the choice between the UL and Classic , I went with the Classic and it doesn`t have that fizzle sound you speak of. I am running 4 6CA7s(big bottle EL34s) and it is bone crunching. It seams to me the UL and Classic are voiced much differently. Jack.

Comment

What preamps tubes? They make a diff in the high end amps big time.

Comment

I've tried an assortment of preamp tubes such as,
        Mullard , Chinese , JJ , EH , GT , NOS GE , NOS RCA....all these were tried in V1 with a numerous mix in the other positions....I probably like the Mullard in V1 the most but after a comprehensive tube trial like that...you are so headfucked any way...it's hard to think/hear straight. I do not believe that putting different preamp tubes in will make you like an amp you did not like before, I simply believe that different preamp tubes will only accentuate or diminish sounds you like or dislike plus add or diminish harmonics. At this point I wonder if the CLX would be a better choice for me ,here's why...As I stated, I really like the aggression of this amp but I would like it better if it had a more organic and musical tone. Megadeth is what I'm after for aggression but listen closely to Megadeths newest stuff.....really aggressive but organic tones. I want the fast attack and overall note seperation associated with this amp while totally saturated and with a flat out evil voicing. The bass on this amp is stellar and the voicing/dynamics are all there it's just not very musical....just friggin' fizzy metal zonie......I know nothing of the Uberschall or the VHT CLX? The only reason I mention the Uber is the fact that the XTC is so good. Would CL80's help....as in less speaker break up?

Comment

Let me add that I'm not trying to nail Megadeth specifically, I just used it as reference to the more organic aggression I like. Your not going to nail somebodys sound on CD.....and I'm not really trying.

Comment

If I could nail the tones of Accept or Metal Church with a huge authoritave voice.....happy me.

Comment

VHT stuff are great.
              I have their power amp(2150) and 2x12 Classic combo.
              I think you will need to spend a lot of time with it to get some great sound.
              I hated it the first day I got it.
              Then after many hours of changing the settings, learning how to use these switches,it turned out real great.
              Good Luck!

Comment

Well a few thoughts,

The UL doesn't do saturated preamp gain tones (ala Mesa Recto, Engl Powerball, etc) period. No matter how high you crank the gain knobs, you will never get a preamp gain saturated/compressed tone... the power amp is way too clean for that; it literally has miles of headroom. It is a very tight/articulate/dry/responsive amp. Some people like its voicing, others don't.

Does your amp have a 6L6/KT88 switch on the back panel? And if so, is it set to match the tubes currently installed? Did you rebias the amp after installing the KT88s? What kind of preamp tubes are you using?

Also, the XTC & UL are 2 very different amps. Don't try to compare them. The XTC is a vintage high gain amp and excells at classic hard rock. The UL is a modern high gain amp and was desiged for modern metal. I would suggest experimenting with the preamp tube selection and trying out different cabs first.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I know nothing of the Uberschall or the VHT CLX? The only reason I mention the Uber is the fact that the XTC is so good. Would CL80's help....as in less speaker break up?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Überschall is pretty much a one trick pony IMHO... unless you like tweaking knobs on your amp between every song. It does the ultra heavy modern detuned metal rhythm tones great, but that's about it. BTW If you don't like fizzy gain, the Über is not the amp for you.

The CLX is very similar to the UL, but with less preamp gain and a more overall spongy/squishy/elastic voicing due to the EL34 power section. It's not as tight as the UL. There really isn't huge amount of difference between these 2 amps. They both still have the trademark VHT tone.

CL80s with your UL will definitely help.

Comment

Yes it has the 6L6/6550 switch, yes I re-biased etc.

I wasn't comparing the XTC to the VHT I was only pointing out my satisfaction with the XTC and what I feel it is missing, (for the type of music), which is why I'd like to have another amp to do the agressive stuff and if it can posess some of the attributes of the XTC well cool...if not...cool. I give a rats ass whether it is a one trick pony or not, I don't care if it costs five grand...if it is what my ears want to hear...I want it. Like I stated, I am in no way prepared to dump this amp at this point, I'm going to thoroughly work with it to really know the ins and outs of it before I ,"move on". Or at least until I'm satisfied that I do/do not want it. Actually as backward as it may sound....the fact that I didn't really like it right away encourages me that I may love it once I really get to know it because there are definately things that I really do like about it....I've dumped alot of amps that I loved at first...kind of reverse psychology....Let me also say that believe it or not...I'm not on some red herring type tone quest...I'm just looking for a couple of amps that make me smile every time.

Comment

Well, the XTC is a class act (some are very different sounding though) and very organic in tone. The uber isn't close, but does "some" things better. Detuned metal is one of them.

I've always felt the Ultra Lead was sort of what a good Marshall could have been if done properly with good parts.

Preamp tubes IMO, can often change an amp a LOT, and if I didn't have the ones that have decided upon in my CAE3+se, I'd prolly not like it so much if at all. Swapping tubes around in that was what kept it in my rack. Good that you have tried the best of the best it seems.

It does sound like you've done been through the good tubes and have been milking it for what you want properly, haha. I am always one to say play it a while and keep coming back to it (took me months to finally fall in love with my CAE3+se, I thought it sucked totally when I got it). But, of course, it's on you to know whether you like it or not, and it is obvious that you are trying all the tools to come to that opinion in a logical and pro manner. Good work.

Good luck, and I hope it comes to life. I could add that I am also not so positive I would own that amp either. Nothing bad about it whatsoever, they are excellent amps. Like you, I also found they are just not exactly what I like as far as tone. I'm a hard sell, hence my ever changing rack.

Maybe a look towards ENGL would be a thought... They have tone, quality and a seriously cool selection on different units.

Comment

I know what you're saying about the UL. I played one at NAMM and didn't like it. It's almost like there's a clean tone being played parallel to the dirty tone. It's super responsive and clear but you're right, it almost feels solid state. I had a VHT combo amp that's the equivalent of the ST series. Not a lot of gain, but tons of sustain. But I wanted a slightly softer feel to the amp. I sold it and got a Framus Cobra and never looked back. They're very well built amps (the VHTs), just the tone and feel isn't for everyone.

Comment

I agree, if you get a chance check out the Powerball and Savage from ENGL. I have a Powerball..and it sounds like it could do what you are looking for tonally.

Comment

Hey thanks to everyone with the feedback and tips on this subject. As I previously have said, I'm not ready to move on at this point. I mainly was looking for feedback pertaining to my complaints to see if others were getting the same impressions and what they may have done about it. The thing with the UL is that there are ALOT of options on this thing and can dramatically alter the tone/feel so I gotta work with it. I'll probably try some CL 80's but only because I've been really curious about them with my other amps as well. I won't chase this one down with the addition of a boatload of gear, but rather with what I already have and in the end it's going to have to earn a place on top of a cab on its own merits. Some good things I got from this thread are the fact that the Uberschall is probably not for me and the CLX is not a completely more organic beast than the UL. The Engls may be another avenue to study but not quite yet. I have never played with Soldanos either....I have a 5150 II that I LOVE at bedroom volume, (only with the right cab...try a Bogner 4x12 with it at low volumes, you won't beleive it!)...it's only when it's cranked it sounds ass. It's a little disheartening (SP?) because I've tried ALOT of brands/amps and the field is beginning to narrow on me but I'm learning alot and a tip to others who may go through alot of the high end=$$$$ stuff.....buy used...you won't lose your ass...just your wife.

Comment

Have you tried using a Tube Screamer or SD-1 in front of it? To me, that seems to help add a little bit of "saturation" or whatever.

Also, what pickups are you using? IMHO, the UL seems to prefer fairly hot pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X