Marshall jmp 1 preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall jmp 1 preamp

I'm not a fan of EL34s I wish my uber was loaded with KT88s or at least a quad of 6l6s..better low end less high midrange.

My Marshall 9200 monoblock was the first series and came with 5881s (6l6s) and sound better than the El34 monoblock..

At the time I was playing 5150s and Marshall JCM 800s ....this Marshall setup smoke those amps hands down at that time and still does ....I'm not wishy washy with my decisions or my claims ....I'll never go back to those amps ...had too many of them to know better.

I heard John's CAE setup and my Uber all the time , good stuff...but "I" still enjoy the feel and sound of my Marshall rig.

I don't have to tweak or nothing ...I plug in and go ...I grew sick and tired of tweakin' and twiddlin' till blue in the face with other tube amps...

I just want to play and shred and write my metal ....that is what any amp is intended for ...right???!!

If anyone don't like it ...cool with me . I like it and it inspires me enough to continue writing new riffs that kick ass!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      BTW ...None of my stuff ever went for service since bought new in early 1996..goin' on ten years...changed tubes in poweramp and preamp "once"....the preamp just recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you'd probably not be saying if your stuff ever left your house. My stuff was fine till I started gigging every friggin week. Actually playing out with it was a bit too much for the great Marshall quality. Being heated up at a show, and being moved was not in the build criteria I spose.

Comment

I've moved my 9100 around a lot after playing (after cooling down a bit with the fans running). It survived fine but maybe i was lucky.

Now i remember the WEIGHT of that thing! Never again!
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Nope I can't buy that ....I'm careful with my stuff ..

I play this amp everyday just about ...loud with Vinny..

I have all the faith in the world that if I shoved this in a shockrack I can do many many gigs with this setup ...it never gave me a sign that I couldn't....I just don't want to carry it.

Many people toured the world and elsewhere with a monoblock and still do....not just down the street at a bar..

Dimmu played these things for years ...so did Soilwork , so did Preist and Megadeth and umpteen other heavy hitters....until some got endorsement deals with Mesa and the like.

So that theory seems extremely unfounded to me...

Plus you got a majorly bogus JMP-1 right out of the shoot ...I didn't like yours either..and I don't like the sound of the EL34s as well .....John you got **** on your deal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BYW , It was your idea to get my amp at the time ...you pud! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yep, If you can't get a good tone out of a jmp-1 and a valve power amp, then you've either got a dud, or you don't know what you're doing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            I haven't had much trouble with mine touring either- only thing is the data selector pot on the front usually needs replaced (seen this on both jmp-1s I've owned), but that's a cheap fix, and doesn't affect the tone either way. I'm beginning to suspect the marshalls in the US aren't the same as the UK ones... heheh
            cheers

Comment

I still like it ...

it has a very "sharp" and lively attack...

Divebombs and squeals from hell ...that's for sure!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                yep, If you can't get a good tone out of a jmp-1 and a valve power amp, then you've either got a dud, or you don't know what you're doing

[/ QUOTE ]

Ny opinion is more like if you "think" you're getting a good sound with one, you don't know what you're doing.

Sorry, I'm anal about my tone, and I know what I like. It depends on your expectations I guess. I expect a lot for $700.

Comment

There is some major league players using these in the studio and live and they are doin' just fine with them..

Andy Laroque , Pete Blakk , Hank Sherman , Mike Wead , Glen Drover , Chuck Schuldiner , Hank Sherman , Mike Denner ....all VS users..along with Mustaine , Soilwork , Dimmu Borgir and many more who don't know what their doing...

All I know is that John and I owned Recto / 5150s / Marshall 800s / 900s and so on .....when John first heard this rig he crapped his pants and had to have one ...

I immediately went to the store and checked out this unit and bought it right there on the spot ....yes it sounded that good!!

John happend to get a highly bogus JMP-1 and a EL34 power amp ...I didn't like his sound either ..so it left a very bad taste in his mouth..

At the time being fresh in my hands and ears ...this thing crushed my 800s and definitely smokes any Marshall I ever heard since..

I had a 100 wt DSL for a short while.....that thing was horrible.....for me it was unusable..

To me the 9200 w 5881s and JMP-1 is the best "sounding" amp Marshall has ever put out ...I'll put this thing up against ANY other Marshall....anyday!

No stomp boxes or Eq BS ...I plug in and go!

OK continue with the JMP-1 slammin' ...I'll just defend it some more ...it treated me good all these years and I'm just returning the favor .. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

Holy shite, are you still on about that Fart-1? RETIRE IT! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yeah ....John keeps provoking me...

like this .... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

So it's my duty to [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] back.

Ilikemymarshallrig... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I did drop it toll someone inplied I didn't know what I was doing. I wish I didn't, so I'd be happier with junk, and not want better.

And for the record, I don't think yours sounds so well either bro (although yours sounds better than mine did). Or the many I've played in the stores.

ONCE AGAIN, it would be cool for less dough, it is just WAY overpriced for what it is. And I tyhiunk Marshall is raping their customers and giving them a sub par product in all of their lines at this time.

Nonetheless, I'm sure someone would argue with me for days about how great Crates are and sound etc... To each his own I spose.

My EL34 100/100, was brand new and a piece of junk. I'm told Mustaine blew them up religiously as well. Not just me.

Whatever, no biggie.

Comment

Worth $700 dollars hell no ...we didn't pay that much for it did we..you can buy 'em for a duece all day long now..

well anywhoo I still like the unit as far as sound goes..

I know you know what your doin' ...and you know I know..

there is dozens of worse sounding stuff for boockoo money out there that does warrant both of our complaints..

LOOK at that DSL for example or that V 4 ....I'm not talking construction quality here ....those amps sound like pure 100% unusable crap!

at least I can "play" my ass off with this unit ...more than I can say about most things I've plugged into..right??!!

Dr Z makes great stuff ...but I can't play any of Mike's amps at all without a stomp box. You buy a $2500 amp and have to rely on a $50 pedal.. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

John ..??!! where did ya go....

see, now you guys got him all pissed off.. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

John ...I still love you ...

and my JMP-1...

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

One man's meat is another man's poison.

The CAE John has at his rig's heart is no longer even available, it's japan-made now. I never knew that until someone replied in another thread, so I might have bought a "substandard" preamp based on the original info you DIDN't give, John. I also never knew there were Korean-made Intellifexes until after I bought one based on your statement that they were great units. When asked, you didn't say "Get a S made, not a Korean one.'
                              Not that you owe me anything, but in your place I'd mention something like that to someone asking me about them. Anyway, mine works fine so far, knock on wood.

More to the point, tone taste varies. I have a little VS8040 that's not the greatest, but it has a tonality that I dig, and I'm not an idiot. I also have Carvin and Peavey amps that you'd deem ****, but I get tones that like out of them. I've been playing for 32 years and am sure that I play as well as you do, and while I am sure you get a better tone than I, I know I get a good tone that is often commented on, and find it rather insulting when a top-level conniseur has to trash stuff that 95% of players and listeners find to sound good. Even after a stroke, I have no problem sounding kickass with a Model 6 and a VS40. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm saying this as respectfully as possible, John. I have the highest respect for you and your knowledge and abilities, you know that.
                              I just don't like being lumped in as not knowing good sound because I don't have, or feel the need for, a $10,000 guitar rig. I like to plug and play, so that's what I do.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Geez, I think a cheaper ENGL unit kills the Marshall, so don't EVEN imply I'm being an amp snob. I "almost" prefer my Voodu to the CAE for many things. THere's also plenty cooler pieces for th money than the CAE. I feel the CAE is EXTREMELY overpriced as well for a three channle preamp that I had to screw around with for some time to actually like. However, the quality is outstanding and not much come close.. I assure you Marshall does not give you that.

Actually, the CAEs that are being being made in Japan now, have great quality. I could easily see that being likely as Bradshaw is overworked, getting careless (unless you're Luke) and probably not paying such great attention to detail as he could be.

Compare many of the Japanese Charvels to the US jacksons. The Japanese stuff is top notch. I have USA Jacksons and ALWAYS play my 475 Charvel, it is a better playing guitar by all means compared to my USA. I'm far from an equipment snob.

And I've always bitched about Korean Rocktron crap as being extreme crap. Sooo.... You obviously didn't talk to me much about it, if at all.

Anyways, I never said anything bad about the owners of the units till I was told "I" didn't know what I was doing, so I came back to him about it. That was basically a dig to that person. You haven't been involved in this till now, so I'd venture I wasn't talking to you.

Shawn Drover from Eidolon/King Diamond is a monster on a Marshall VS8100 that I think sounds like ass, but he likes it and does pretty well with it. He even dialed my rig to SOUND just like it when he played!!! So, have at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X