Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall valvestate feedback issue

hi all

a bud of mine owns a marshall valvestate 65w combo (one of the old valvestates, not the AVT series). now, the problem is, in order to be heard over our drummer he needs to crank it up to 7 or so, and it feedbacks HARD. even at volume 4 or so its still squealing like a pig. he doesnt crank the gain, doesnt have too much presence and treble dialed in, stands about 15ft away from his amp etc..

furthermore, it sounds like ****. at first i thought its because i'm used to tube tone, but it isnt. in fact, my old POS peavey SS amp sounds WAY better. i figured that it may be because of the preamp tube those thingys have (the amp is 10 years old and the tube was never replaced), because a broken tube would indeed cause such extensive squealing and shitty tone (especially after he told me that the amp sounded great a few years ago). i told him to replace it.

but now he went into GC and wanted to buy a new tube, but they told him that based on his description of the sound his amp is broken and it cant be repaired (they havent seen and/or heard the amp). so i'm kind of thinking those guys at GC just want to sell him a new amp and make some money, but i'm not sure. so guys, please tell me if i'm right and it is indeed the preamp tube, or if it is really impossible to repair the amp.......but really, i doubt that.

greets
    fragle

Re: marshall valvestate feedback issue

Very few amps are impossible to fix. That said, GC knows nothing about fixing amps. They send the stuff out. Cut out the middle man and bring it to an amp tech. My old valvestate head had 1 12ax7 (I believe) , try changing that first. Cheap enough. If the problem still persists it may need to go to a tech. Before any of this is done, try a different guitar and see if the same thing happens.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

we already tried it with different guitars, same problem.
      by the way, he's playing a gibson sg, so i dont think the guitar is the problem here.
      by the way, i forgot to say that they REFUSED to sell him the tube and kept telling him its broken. how stupid is that?

Comment

Fukk them, get a tube online or from someone here. I hate them stupid pricks. How can they refuse to sell you something?
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

ditto - fukk them in the ass. They sound like crooks to me.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Definitely trying to rip you off. I'd go back to get the salesman's name, and make a complaint to whatever authorities in your area regulate business practices. We have the Better Business Bureau here, don't know what Bavaria, Germany has. Them refusing to sell you a tube and diagnosing a problem on an amp they've never even seen is unethical and they should be reported for it.Let us know what happens with this!Lerx
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

well, i had him on the phone a few minutes ago and he told me that he will go to another shop and get some tubes.

by the way, he also told me that the salesman said his marshall can only be used as a poweramp now, AND HE SHOULD BUY A H&K WARP 7 212 COMBO!

no comment...

another question: i dont know THAT much about those valvestate combos. where is the tube located? furthermore, because its a preamp tube all he's got to do is pulling the old one out and inserting the new one, right? is there something else one should do, or is it really just a matter of 5 seconds? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

greets
              fragle

Comment

Just take the old tube out and put the new tube in....done! Biasing is only required when replacing the power tubes (the big ones), I don't know where it is located in that amp though....try Marshall online for a downloadable manual.

Refuse to sell a tube....that's a joke...I'd probably end up in a fight over such an insult to my intelligence.

Comment

I've never taken apart my Valvestate 8240 2x12 combo, but I got that thing new in the early '90s and it's still going strong. I don't think preamp tubes usually wear out (but they can go microphonic), but it might be another problem in your case, but anything's possible. My Mesa squeals too as of recent, but I replaced all 4 preamp tubes and I've still got the problem. Now I've gotta get two new EL84 power tubes and see if that's the problem. Let us know what happens with the Valvestate.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Replacing the only tube in valvestate is very easy. Just open the screws on top of the amp (6 if I remember right)
                    and after that you can pull whole amp section out of the combo chassis. Then just replace the tube. The tube is held in place by small metal spring style thingy. unplug the mains before you start.

Comment

You want to hold the base of the tube socket when you pull the tube out, so you don't flex the circuit board. That can damage it, so be careful.

Preamp tubes CAN go out; it's much less likely than power tunes but it does happen. They can also deteriorate in sound quality without actually failing too, which may be his problem.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

so we replaced that tube now, and it sounds better. the feedback problem is still there, but not as much as it was before the tube change. i think we can handle the remaining amount of feedback

Comment

Does he have a vocal mic in rehearsal? I wonder if you have a feedback loop between his amp and a vocal mic, or a floor monitor or...?

At least the new tube helped out some. He should go back to the GC idiot and rub in that the tube HE wouldn't sell him fixed the amp.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Oh yeah, is he using a multieffect of any kind? Sometimes if the amp simulation is on and you're running the multi through the front end you'll get squealing.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

no, his setup is pretty much no-bullshit.
                              gibson sg (stock pu's) -> boss DS1 -> input of marshall valvestate 65R
                              thats it. if he switches the ds1 off the feedback problem is now almost non-existant. there is still some feedback, but hell, i guess every amp feedbacks when cranked to 9.

btw: he puts the ds1 on the top of his marshall and connects it to the input with a patch cable, meaning its very close to the amp. does this somewhat add to the feedback issue? our bassist keeps telling him that he should take that damn thing off his amp [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but hell, he's a bassist.....you know, guys who dont use distortion....i wonder how much he knows about guitar setups [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

ah and no, its no feedback loop between his amp and anything. we actually switched everything off (even the lights ^^) and the problem was still there.

greets
                              fragle

Comment

Working...
                              X