What is your favorite speaker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite speaker???

I have a cab that I am trying some new Eminence speakers in. The more I play it the more I think I realize I am a Celestion man.

What is everyone's favorite Celestion? I myself like the 75 V30 combo used in the Uber cabs. I also really want to hear a cab with Classic Lead 80's. I think I am going to pull the speakers out of this one and replace them. Any suggestions?

Re: What is your favorite speaker???

For me, it depends on the amp. When I had a Dual Rectifier, and a Marshall Silver Jubilee, they both sounded best with Vintage 30's, With Marshall Super Leads, I like Greenbacks, but I really like the Older 55hz G12H-30's even better. I just got a VHT Pitbull, and I Prefer the G12H-30's with it, over the Greenbacks, and V-30's, but to be fair, the V-30 cab is far from being broken in, and isn't the best sounding V30 cab anyway. I'm really wanting to try some CL80's with the VHT, I've heard they kick ass. I've never used an X patter V30/75 combo, but I used to have two cabs, one with V30's and the other had 75's, and I always liked the way they sounded together.
    I'm a Celestion man too, I've tried a few other cabs, with different speakers, and they just don't sound right to me.

Comment

I'm pretty fond of the old Celestion G65's. Very even response, no big hump in the bottom or the top, smooth midrange, very neutral, not much break-up at all. Great speaker.

Comment

It also depends on what amp you use.
        Some amp sound great with 75, some don't.
        Older amps seem to sound better with lower watt speakers.
        I usually like Vintage 30's, 25watt Greenbacks, and 75watt.
        I have a combo that comes with 2 of 80watt Celestion and sound fine with it.They are great for combo or smaller cabs like 1x12 or 2x12 to handle 100watt amp.

I would love to try EVs.
        Gary Moore and Zak Wylde's cabs are equipped with EVs and they said they handle the low end real good.

Comment

i prefer G12H30 55Hz speakers, or a combination with G12H30s and Vintage30s in one cab.
          a friend of mine plays a mixed cab with 2xGreenback and 2xVintage30 which sound very well too.

Comment

G12K85!
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Marshall 25 watt greenbacks

Comment

I was reading a post on Harmony Central and I wonder what 2 Classic lead 80's and 2 G12H's would sound like. Apparently that is another good combo.

Comment

There are so many of us curious about the CL80's....that's it...I'm ordering some.

Tim...thanks again for the heads up on the XTC I bought off of HC...you saved me more than a grand...'cos I was gonna' buy one.....I love the amp.

I never really liked V30's and prefered (SP?) G12H30's...BUT I picked up a Bogner 4x12 and tried both speakers in quads and mixes....the V30's sound fantastic in that cab. I have two GB's in a Vertical MESA 2x12.....at low bedroom volume they kill.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I'm pretty fond of the old Celestion G65's. Very even response, no big hump in the bottom or the top, smooth midrange, very neutral, not much break-up at all. Great speaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck, did you switch out the speakers in your Studio .22+ and extension cab? I just picked up a .22+ and I am not that crazy about the Emminence speaker in there.

Comment

Yes, my .22 has a Greenback in it, and another in the 1x12 extension cab. The Black Shadow they come with aren't bad at all. This one was set up like this when I got it. The 1x12 cab really adds a lot to the sound.
                      I was going to pull two of the G65's out of my 4x12 to try in the Boogie, but I've since sold the cab and while it's phsically still here, I don't feel right about mucking around with it.

I'm looking for another .22, hopefully a plus with the rocker switches and the reverb tank outside the head, so if you don't like yours... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        G12K85!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I like the Mesa/Celestion 90s, too.

Mike
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

i was talking to scott at splawn guitars, he was telling me that wattage doesn't even matter. he was saying that the voicing (or how the vioce coils are wired) is what determins how soon a speaker breaks up anyway. (i still prefer mesa's v-30 cels) but he tells me they are a 70 watt cel. speaker voiced like vintage 30's.

~JW
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've got a Vintage 30 in my Mesa combo with a G12T75 in the extension cabinet underneath it. The G12T75 is a little darker sounding, but it mixes well with the V30.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Either GreenBacks, or G12T75 things (stock in Marshall JCM 900 cabs.
                              )

Comment

Working...
                              X