What is your favorite speaker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your favorite speaker???

I just built a 212 cab and used the G12T75's and they kicked ass.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I've got a Vintage 30 in my Mesa combo with a G12T75 in the extension cabinet underneath it. The G12T75 is a little darker sounding, but it mixes well with the V30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a similar setup with my Rivera Suprema and its extension cab - Vintage 30 in the (closed-back) combo and a G12T75 in the extension cab. According to my friend who helped me order it and also to Rivera, the Vintage 30 sometimes tends to put out some odd overtones in an open-back combo, especially depending on if it's front- or rear-loaded. And Rivera recommended the G12T75 for the open-back extension cab to provide a little smoother, more open tone. Sounds decent enough to me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Mesa Dual Rectifier---V30's
        X100B/Boss GT-6-------Altec Lansing 300w White frames
        Marshall JCM800------- Peavey 25w Scorpions

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          I've got a Vintage 30 in my Mesa combo with a G12T75 in the extension cabinet underneath it. The G12T75 is a little darker sounding, but it mixes well with the V30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a similar setup with my Rivera Suprema and its extension cab - Vintage 30 in the (closed-back) combo and a G12T75 in the extension cab. According to my friend who helped me order it and also to Rivera, the Vintage 30 sometimes tends to put out some odd overtones in an open-back combo, especially depending on if it's front- or rear-loaded. And Rivera recommended the G12T75 for the open-back extension cab to provide a little smoother, more open tone. Sounds decent enough to me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          Cool! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] My combo is open back and my extension cab is a closed back, but I can open it and see what happens. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My favorite Celestion speaker would have to be my 25watt black backs, but my all time favorite speaker is the EV12L. I just wish they weren't so heavy, but then they wouldn't sound so good. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

i've noticed that higher wattage speakers sound better in an open back cab while lower wattage speakers sound better in closed back cabs.

observations with above statement in mind:
              open backs giving it a harder drive and crunch while closed backs giving more bass response and a little fuzz.

...one of the reasons the older boogie half backs were so popular. especially when mixed with the bottom cab having ev's in the bottom, and the top cab having vin 30's in the bottom. and both having cel 90's in the open top. - the mix of the 2 open tops "screeming", while you got your wolf and low mids from the closed vin 30's and wolf with more fuzz from the EV's. - just a thought.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

No one ever says Celestion G12M70. I seem to like these myself, but I only compared them to the V30. The V30 seemed less tight, kinda flabby. Anyone else like the G12M70? What's the diff between these and the Celestion G12T75 or 80?
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Nfm
                  Last edited by danastas; 05-15-2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

A Thread Back from the Dead!

I did some searching because I've played the EV12L for the first time and these things are fantastic. They blow away every single speaker I've ever tried before, and then I wondered why no one ever talks about them.

Yes, I go through a LOT of speakers looking for the perfect ones, and right now I've gotten rid of all of the ones in my attic (even the ones I really liked like the Classic Lead 80s, and the Em Cannabis Rex).

Lots of bottom end on my EV12Ls and they make up for a lot of the sins of weak vintage strat single coils and low powered jazz pups.

I still have my Port City Wave cab with G1265s in there, and I'll keep that around, but the oversized Mojo cab with EV12Ls is getting a huge workout these days.

Comment

I use G12T75s..they're cool, but my faves are CL80's.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm really into the Eminence Legend speakers now, both the 12" and 15" versions... I've got a Randall cab that looks like a 4x12, but it's actually 2x12/1x15.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

V30's

Comment

CL80`s or 100`s

Comment

EVM12Ls. i have used them for YEARS and NOTHING sounds better. i hear my AMP not any breakup from the speaker and i like the tone of the speaker.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

wow this thread is pretty old.

new thoughts...

-Mesa Vin 30's are completely different than standard Vin 30's - mesa's have a extra low end and extra presence that makes them sound sweeter than standard vin 30s which seem to have a harshness about them that isn't pleasant.

-the resonance frequency really makes a huge difference.

-closed or open back makes a really huge difference.

these days i'm enjoying the stock G12-75T's and the classic G12H30's - i'd like to try the Heritage version of the G12H30 with the 55Hz resonance, a 4x12 of 25w Greenbacks, and a 4x12 of G12-65's.

- there are so many choices and trying the all out can get quite expensive.
                                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X