PODxt 2.0--initial thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PODxt 2.0--initial thoughts

I got a used PODxt with the 2.0 upgrade at a local Guitar Center this weekend. I had an xt when they first came out, but I sold it after I just couldn't get a good recorded metal rhythm guitar sound out of it. After reading about the new 2.0 firmware, I decided to give it another try after happening onto some jams I had recorded with a drummer where I used the xt--I like the lead sound I had gotten on those recordings better than what I have been getting out of my Chameleon 2000/Ampulator setup recently. More 'presence' and response, even though the Ampulator adds a level of complexity to the sound that the PODxt can't quite match.

The unit I got had obviously been sold to GC by a guy who didn't like the 2.0 firmware, as he hadn't bothered to install the new Model Packs. I am still in the process of trying to upgrade my sad old home PC from Win98 First Edition to the Second Edition necessary to use the USB connection with the PODxt (my first Microsoft upgrade disc off of eBay was defective). When I do that, I will download the Model Packs with all the additional metal-oriented amp models, but at least I have the 2.0 firmware to play with until then.

Anyway, my initial thought is that the PODxt definitely has improved response in its hi-gain models now. I haven't tried to program a good death metal rhythm guitar yet, but it only took me a few minutes with the new L6 Lunatic amp model to get a screaming lead sound that really blows me away. There is still some of the graininess and 'fizziness' to the sound that is inherent to the xt, I guess, but things are much improved, and I think I can live with this sound. Once I've had a chance to program a rhythm guitar sound or two, I'll make some more comments here.

By the way, the effects in the xt aren't too bad, but routing the xt through my G-Major made a HUGE difference. The choruses and delays in the G-Major are about 100 times better than those in the xt, and my lead sound got so much smoother and crisper merely by routing it through the G-Major--almost as if the additional digital signal path and D/A converters provide a 'smoothing' effect on the xt's native sound.

Re: PODxt 2.0--initial thoughts

Thanks for the review, I'm thinking of picking one of these up myself. I've actually been happy for a long time with my J-Station for practicing with headphones. But the extra goodies in the XT, especially with the 3 additional model packs availible for download ($100) makes me curious.

Comment

I also have a J-Station that I use to record my bass guitar. The Dual Rectifier model in the J-Station is pretty nice for metal rhythm guitar, but I think the PODxt has gone a long ways past the J-Station in overall sound quality. It's a pity that Digitech/Johnson decided to kill the J-Station, rather than put out a next generation version.

I get a decent bass guitar sound out of the J-Station, but I may go for a Bass PODxt soon, in order to get a more 'muscular' bass sound that also is a bit more realistic.

I don't know though, the price of a PODxt still seems pretty high for just a practice/headphone amp tool. You'll get better sound quality, for sure, but is it worth the cost for that?

Comment

I don't think the price of the POD is high at all. I use it for practice - apartment living and a wife that likes to hear the TV - so I either play it right to headphones or through my 4-track when I'm recording/jamming with drums/whatever. And for that, it is an incredible tool. While I gravitate to the Marshall sounds, like the JCM 900 and the SLO, I use a lot of the other amps as well. If for nothing else, variety. On tape, the thing sounds monstorusly real. Through headphones, no its not the same as amp-in-room, but you can get used to it.

All told, with the model packs, the XT costs you $400. Yeah, if you need to amplify it, you still need a PA or a power amp and cab. Yeah, I could by a used JCM 900 head for $400, but I still can't crank that up in the apartment, and my JTM 60 gets nearly the same sound.

All told, for me, where I already have a good tube amp and where I have need for quiet practice and recording, the POD XT is stupid cheap.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I think the POD is much more than a headphone amp/practice tool. I had my XT for over a year and I use a POD into the house at every gig. I get great sound on both the house and monitor system. The sound guys love me cause there are no amps/mikes/turn it downs.

It may not be a real Marshall/Fender/Boogie/Diezel, but the sounds are great in the sense that out of the entire audience, only 1% will really care if you tone isn't tube or anything else, for that matter.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Oh, I agree--the PODxt is a lot more than a headphone amp/practice tool. It has really nice sounds for direct recording. I can also see where it would be nice for small gigs to go right into the board, rather than having to deal with miking an amp.

I've been very happy with the 2.0 update so far.

Comment

It's also great for 10,000 seat arenas!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X