Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do active EMGS sound the same no matter........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do active EMGS sound the same no matter........

Do they sound the same no matter what you put them. I almost bought the SLSMG last night. Those HZ's are terrible and I'll be needing new pickups. My Jackon has 81neck and bridge 85 right now but I want a different sound. I like my Jackson, just don't seen the point in having two guitars with the same tone. What do you guys recommend? A really balanced passive with tone a la Carcass and other melodic death bands. BTW, amp using right now is 5150 combo but will be getting 5150II soon. Thanks.
    Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Re: Do active EMGS sound the same no matter........

In my experience throwing EMG's in a Jackson Archtop, and XTRR, a RR, a Kelly, a Soloist, and a Warrior...they definitely do NOT all sound the same. My goal is very heavy but still clear...the Soloist sounded good, my Warriors sound good, the XTRR sounds ok, the Kelly sounds the best, and the Archtop sounded like crap. It's one of those things where you have to throw them in a particular guitar to see how you like them especially with your particular amp.

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

I don't like an EMG 85 in the bridge of my SL2H....I may try it in my SLATQH before selling though.

Comment

Like Joel said, they do sound different in every guitar. Every guitar will have its own voice no matter what kind of pickups. EMGs are just more consistent with each other.
        The first guitar I got with EMGs was the 81b/85n in a Jackson Dinky Reverse, then I got another Dinky Reverse with 85b/60n (those pups have since been put in my old string-thru Dink HX), then I got a Hamer and put in two 81s (chrome 25th anniversary edition), and I recently put a Zakk Wylde 81/85 set in my Les Paul with the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. EMGs rock, and you can't go wrong with them in any position! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an 81 in the bridge of every six string guitar I own and they all sound ddifferent.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

How do you all thing some EMG's would sound in the SLSMG. Mahogany, neck thru, TOM. The guitar stock just sounded really dark to me. The pups most definitely need to be changed. I don't see why Jackson put such crappy pickups in such a nice guitar.

I just don't want my new Jackson to sound almost identical as my old one.
            Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

Comment

i'd try the 85 in the bridge to give it not only warmth but heat as well.

but i'd reccomend APC over anything. the Persuader Lead and Felony X would go perfect in any guitar.

also the Rio Grande BBQ
              ~JW
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Joblo said he already has an EMG-85 in the bridge of his current guitar, but I would also try it (or the APC [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) in the new guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  i'd try the 85 in the bridge to give it not only warmth but heat as well.

but i'd reccomend APC over anything. the Persuader Lead and Felony X would go perfect in any guitar.

also the Rio Grande BBQ
                  ~JW

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I've been dying to bring an axe over to APC and have them throw in a Persuader Lead in the bridge!

- Joel
                  RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                  RIP Dime

Comment

Never heard of those before.

Comment

Re: Do active EMGS sound the same no matter.......

Kent Armstrong's are f'n awesome pickups, and are heavily under-estimated.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Re: Do active EMGS sound the same no matter.......

You really don't need EMGs with a 5150. The 5150 has enough preamp gain on its own. You'd be better off with medium output Alnico 5 pickups with the 5150 I or II.

Comment

Working...
                        X