Crazy problems with my BBE, 5150, and G Major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy problems with my BBE, 5150, and G Major

I have been noticing my sound is a lot worse sounding than it was months ago. Sometimes it would just cut out all together and come back in whenever. I decided to mess with things to see what was up and whenever I turned off the BBE a crazy high pitched noise just came out of my speakers. I unplugged everything out the loop of my Boss Noise Supressor pedal and my sound was a lot thicker and fuller sounding. When I put everything back in it was crackling and thin. I ran the G Major through the loop without the BBE and everything was fine. The BBE is the 362 model. Is this a common thing or what is going on with it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Crazy problems with my BBE, 5150, and G Major

Disco Dave,
    The only thing I can think of is to check all the cables
    I have had the same problems before and it ended up being the cable.
    It sounds like you have went through the process and if there are no bad cables I would have the bbe checked out.
    Hope this helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I haven't seen any BBE do the symptons that you described..

Try and do the process of elimination game ...you only have two units going into the head..

and in doing that you may discover a bad cable or loose input jack along the way..

"squeals" sound tube realted to me ..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I just replaced the tubes around 3 or 4 months ago. The only time it made the noise was when the BBE was in the loop but I turned it off. If I took everything out everything rocked. With just the G Major is was awesome as well. I will try some other cables here and check the input jacks as well. Thanks.

Comment

keep a searchin' , it's all part of the wonderful experience we all know and love ....

did you replace the preamp tubes ...my stuff was starting to take a dump like you described...it was a preamp tube ..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I replaced every tube in it. I will do some more investigating with it when I get some more time. Thanks for the help.

Comment

well if you can't find the problem ...gently tap on each tube while the amp is on ....maybe you'll find a bad one.

The reason I'm thinking tube is because it sounds like this problem was a gradual one..it kept getting worse.

Comment

Actually another thing while I was testing around. When I unplugged the THD Hot Plate and then turn off the BBE when it is in the loop. It cuts the signal but it doesn't make the squel noise. Would the THD have anything to do with my problem here?

Comment

Man , I don't know I never used that unit ...

is that a volume attenuator....if so , that may be the problem ..

Comment

It seems like they conflict or something. Like with both on and you palm mute really quickly it makes the noise for a second. When I play shows I don't use the THD but for practice use its a huge difference in tone. I may just mess around some more and see if I can get a set up back to where I like it again.

Comment

There might be a connection going bad somewhere in your BBE as well. Try running it on a friend's rig and see if it makes the sqealing sound.

Comment

Just pull it out of the loop and see if the problem stops..

Why are you using a Hot Plate...just askin'.

Comment

When you strike the strings are you getting the input LED signal on the BBE....probably green...it's a green light on my 422.

Comment

The only lights on mine are on or off and then clipping lights for the two contours, and I have never had it clip.

Comment

Working...
                            X