5150 vs. blackmore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 vs. blackmore?

alrighty ive had my 5150 for about 2 years now, and i like it...even though i made a big mistake in buying it brand spankin new for $900. but that was mainly because of where i live. anyway ive concluded that i need tighter tone. when i turn it up to 4-and up it just seems to loose its tightness and i dont think its the cabs ,(full stack one 5150 cab and another marshall jcm 900 cab)ocasionally a carvin legacy cab with v30's but that thing sounds to damn harsh. any way...ive been trying to get that dimmu tone out of it...and ive been running an mxr eq pedal through it and that seemed to help a little,by no means are my setting to crazy on that thing,and an old two channel HUSH pedal wich in my opinion is much better then the rocktron hush super C.OK so ive got decent tone somewhere between in-flames to arch enemy. but with a tad less gain. So my question is i need tighter tone and more gain. and im on a budget about $1200 ive been debateing between the fire ball and the blackmore. and am affraid the fire ball just isnt gonna be loud enough. (thats one of the advantages to living in montana is that you can play as loud as you damn well want to) everyone seems to say the blackmore is so articulate and that does appeal to me. not that tightness and articulation are the same thing. but they do seem related in a way so.. do you guys think the blackmore can be a tight, gain pushing,bone crusher that i want it to be. or would i be better off with a fireball or something else mabey?

i apppriciate it in advance, thanks

Re: 5150 vs. blackmore?

I will just stick to amps that cost no more than $1200.00 used:
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
    Line 6 HD147
    Randall V-MAX
    Randall Cyclone
    Laney GH100
    Carvin Legacy
    Peavey Triple X
    Peavey JSX

Comment

ive seen blackmores go for $1100 on ebay.... and fireballs for $900

Comment

I can mod the 5150 to have a tighter tone for way less than a new amp.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          alrighty ive had my 5150 for about 2 years now, and i like it...even though i made a big mistake in buying it brand spankin new for $900. but that was mainly because of where i live. anyway ive concluded that i need tighter tone. when i turn it up to 4-and up it just seems to loose its tightness and i dont think its the cabs ,(full stack one 5150 cab and another marshall jcm 900 cab)ocasionally a carvin legacy cab with v30's but that thing sounds to damn harsh. any way...ive been trying to get that dimmu tone out of it...and ive been running an mxr eq pedal through it and that seemed to help a little,by no means are my setting to crazy on that thing,and an old two channel HUSH pedal wich in my opinion is much better then the rocktron hush super C.OK so ive got decent tone somewhere between in-flames to arch enemy. but with a tad less gain. So my question is i need tighter tone and more gain. and im on a budget about $1200 ive been debateing between the fire ball and the blackmore. and am affraid the fire ball just isnt gonna be loud enough. (thats one of the advantages to living in montana is that you can play as loud as you damn well want to) everyone seems to say the blackmore is so articulate and that does appeal to me. not that tightness and articulation are the same thing. but they do seem related in a way so.. do you guys think the blackmore can be a tight, gain pushing,bone crusher that i want it to be. or would i be better off with a fireball or something else mabey?

i apppriciate it in advance, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to www.rocksolidamps.com and listen to the clips Derek has on his site of the Blackmore.

Comment

i know what you mean about the loose nature of the 5150, far too many bands use em here and sound like ****, my chameleon sounds like that at loud volumes too. Go for the blackmore, it has that smooth rounded tone, much tighter than the 5150, i dont think you'll be disappointed.

Comment

I would suggest playing these amps before you buy one, because sound is objective. I would also suggest you check out www.fjamods.com for a list of mods, prices and soundclips. 5150s
              are a good platform for mods and you could get what you want and save several hundred dollars. FJA offers a LOT of different mods. Even beyond the current amp, consider this: You mod the 5150 for say $350 and get just what you want. Now when you decide you need a spare, you pick up a 5150 head for $400 on Ebay and mod IT for $350, and you have what you want for $750, as opposed to
              maybe going through BOTH the other amps, deciding neither suits you, and losing your a$$ on the resale.

If money is no object, then sure, do the buy and try. Otherwise, if you like the 5150's tone but have specific issues, see if they can be addressed before you dump it. You'd be surprised what a tuneup can do, much less mods.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

get a splawn modded marshall with KT88's from splwanguitars. it'll have the sound your going for.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                X