Why is my amp still squealing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my amp still squealing??

My amp (Mesa/Boogie F-30 1x12 combo) was feeding back/squealing at very low volumes. I changed out the four stock preamp tubes to EH, still had the problem. I just changed out the two stock EL84 tubes to JJs... still having the same problem. It doesn't matter what guitar or what kind of pickups, so I don't know what the deal is. If I use my Boss Noise Suppressor, though, it helps gets rid of the problem. Any clue what it could be? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Why is my amp still squealing??

Do you have anything else in the signal chain? My TS-9 is picking up radio stations now. Also, what about you cables? They could be damaged and adding to the noise. Where is the Boss Noise Suppressor in the signal chain? Pre-amp or effects loop?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I've got a Korg rack tuner in the loop, sometimes a Rocktron Pro-Q also goes in there. It does it either with or without anything being in the loop. All my cables are pretty new and it's not them. The NS2 I use in front of the amp when I feel like using it. I'm stumped. Maybe some other problem inside the amp? It sounds fine playing through it, just when I stop and don't mute the strings it squeals. And at loud volumes, even muting doesn't really help without the Noise Suppressor.

Comment

do you have the TV, computer, flourecent lighting, on or anything that might cause interfearance?
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Is there a ground lift on that amp? If not I have used those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters in some situations and that made the noise go away. Probably not the safest thing to do but it worked [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm suprised that changing all those tubes didn't fix it. That sucks I can't stand noisey amps.

Comment

could be the guitar wiring as well.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I could try one of those 2 prong to 3 prong adapters and see. It is in my living room at the moment, but not real close to the tv. When the tv is on, I do notice a little more hum, but nothing major. Last time I had it at my cousin's house, I turned it up to be heard over the drums, and it was pretty squeally! I don't know about the guitar wiring, as it does it for all my 6 of my guitars (3 have EMGs, 1 Duncans, 1 DiMarzio, the other Carvin).

Comment

Does it squeal when there is no cord in it?

Have you tried different cords?

Comment

If I have a cord in it and it's not connected to a guitar, it doesn't squeal. Doesn't squeal without a cord in it either. I have tried different cords... standard Monster Cables, Spectraflex, Fender, Pro-Co. And I don't even have to stand that close to the amp for it to happen. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

What are your settings?

Comment

Joe what is your date of birth and shoe size...it's important..
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

This is a tough one. A sound sample might actually help the troubleshooting. Not kidding.
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Channel 1 (clean): Gain is at 9:00 o'clock, treble 12:00, mid 11:00, bass 1:00, reverb 12:00, volume 8:00.

Channel 2 (distortion): Gain 3:00, treble 1:00, mid 12:00, bass 11:00, reverb 9:00, volume 7:00.

I only get the squealing on channel 2 and, as you can see, the volume is almost off.. just loud enough for living room volumes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            This is a tough one. A sound sample might actually help the troubleshooting. Not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Too bad I don't have any recording equipment to make sound samples.

Comment

There's gotta be something wrong with that amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X