Why is my amp still squealing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is my amp still squealing??

That's what I'm thinking. When I'm playing, it's fine. I just stop playing and the feedback starts very easily if I'm not muting the strings right away.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe I'd call Mesa and tell them whats goin and see what they say. It may be a known issue that they have a fix for. It could be a any number of things....
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Calling Mesa sounds like a good idea at this point ...you changed the preamp tubes and it still squeals at "low" volumes...no matter what guitar or cordes you use [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

yep , I guess that's what I would do ... call 'em.

Keep us posted.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see what happens. I bought the amp off ebay back in November, and it was owned by at least two other people before me, so Mesa won't give me any warranty service since it has to be transferred over to me from the original owner... I already tried that once when my reverb died, then I just wound up taking it in to a local shop here that's actually an authorized Mesa repair shop. I'll call and see if maybe it's perhaps an easy fix or maybe I'll have to take it in to the shop again. Thanks, guys! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Good luck dude ...I know for all of us it's like the end of the world when your amp is being a dick ...

I think Mesa should be able to assist ...like Shawn said they probaly get the same calls of the same symptoms you're experiencing..

Let us know what the hell it was ...when you do find out....I'm curious and it's good knowledge when other peoples stuff starts acting up....or yours in the future.

Joe ...how ya like that amp anyway...never played one ...I must say that Mesa does makes some nice combos...I played a mesa 2 X 12 combo a couple weeks ago at a store (playin' a used Dinky)...I was at home with the feel and tone a instantly...lots O' gain!

Funny I never play covers ...cuz I never learn them ....but I know the beginning couple riffs to "as the palaces burn" (from memory) and I just went to town on it ...the tone was dead on to Lamb Of God.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I love the amp, think it sounds great. The clean channel even has a pull bright control on the gain knob to get into Fender clean territory... not that I play much clean anyway, but it is pretty cool. The distortion channel is sweet, but I always keep the contour control engaged on it so it has more gain. The contour also is preset, according to Mesa, to be similar to the scooped sound on their old amps with the five-band eq built in. I tend to up the mids a little bit for a little better crunch. It's my first tube amp after playing Valvestates since the early '90s, and I love it! The EL84 sound is awesome to me. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The EL84 sound is awesome to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I knew YOU would agree! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I knew YOU would agree! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

when the amp isn't squealin [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Exactly! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude, the same exact thing happened to me with my Mesa Nomad 45 combo last night. All of a sudden, channel 2 was squealing with a guitar plugged in or not. Cord or no cord and at any volume or gain level. This is the first time this has ever happened. I turned the amp off and checked all the preamp tubes to make sure they were seated properly and they were. I turned the amp back on and the squeal was gone. Go figure..

Comment

Toejam have you move the guitar to another area, garage or somewhere else? It maybe interference from some kind of signal. Same thing happens to my amp at rehersal but when I bring it home - no hum.

When you brought it to the repair shop did it still do it there?

Comment

I'll try bringing it down my basement later and see if it does the same thing down there; haven't played it down there in awhile. Last time I was at my cousin's house it was doing it down in his basement while turned up loud. Last time I had it in the shop for the reverb, it wasn't doing it... that was a couple months ago.

Comment

My amp is right next to the water main in the basement at my drummers house, squeals like hell when I'm not playing. If I turn the volume down on the guitar it stops. At home no squeal whatsoever. Does your squeal stop if you turn the volume down on your guitar? It may not matter, I've had amps that pick up interference either way. I'd try moving it. If its nice out try it outside.

Comment

Just another idea. You may have a ground looping thing going on. You can try a EBtech Hum-X (see www.ebtechaudio.com). This new device works excellent. I have 2. I just could not figure out what my problem was until I talked to them. Give them a call. They are a great help.
                                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                                X