Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5150 combo users..need help with tones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 combo users..need help with tones...

Just picked this up for the weekend.My Line 6 blew last weekend.If anyone has some good settings to use please post them.We play everything under the sun from Jerry Lee Lewis to Outcast(alot of Nickelback,Foo Fighters,etc..the newer stuff).But we heavy them all up...Kinda looking for a early Eddie sound..thanks,Cort

Re: 5150 combo users..need help with tones...

Turn the Mids down, It's a VERY mid heavy amp, 2 isn't scooping mids, on that amp, it's fairly normal. Also, Get a 12AT7 preamp tube, and put it in the phase invertor position. (The preamp tube closest to the Power tubes) Personally, I hate the speakers in them, I put some greenbacks in mine, and it sounds MUCH better. The stock speakers are really bring out the fizzy sounds that amp naturally kinda seems to have IMHO.

Comment

Bass all the way, mids on 8, treble on 6-8 with the crunch on, gain @ about 5 or 6. Sounds great! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

umm..
        I only use the rhythm channel. I have the crunch and bright switches on, the preamp gain at about 5 or 6, bass at 5, mids cranked, treble at 7 or 8, resonance at 6, presence at 9. I also boost the front end with my sd-1 with volume dimed, tone at 11 o' clock and no drive.
        May seem like a strange set up but i tend to play a lot of bodom-ish riffs and solos.

Comment

After I played around with it I also just used the rhythm channel.Like Adreneline Junky said put the mid's at 2 or so is about right.Not sure about the stock speakers.I plugged into my JCM 800 4x 12 cabinet also.That made it sound better.But then the knobs are about head height and you gotta look over the thing.Why did they put the knobs like that and not like the head version????The thing is a beast also.I figured I'd get it so I don't have to lug around a head and cabinet...This is worse.They also should have put handles on each end like a Marshall cabinet.I bet it weights over 80 lbs...But it does sound good and after I play around with it some more I'll be happy(until the next time)Thanks,Cort

Comment

The combo is fantastic but I had to sell mine ONLY because of the weight factor. Mine had casters but it was a really pain in the ass to lug around and I had the same issue with a 4 x 12. I couldn't see the knobs either.

Comment

I always need to use the low gain input on mine. I've been getting decent sound out of it lately, but I still want to sell it. Glad you like it though, it is heavy.
              Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...819&Forum=,f12,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&amp ;Main=174819&Search=true&where=bodysub&amp ;Name=56&daterange=1&newerval=2&newert ype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#P ost174819

Here's settings that I used last year when I bought mine
                I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Thanks..I'll try them ...Cort

Comment

Working...
                  X